This easy Beet Toast is made with creamy cottage cheese, arugula, and a quick honey balsamic vinaigrette. It makes a great snack or light lunch and barely requires cooking!
While I very much like to eat, I don’t always like to cook and lunch is definitely my weakest area.
So I try to keep things simple. Which usually means grabbing whatever needs to be used up and piling it on bread.
The beets are earthy and sweet while the cottage cheese is rich and salty. Then you add some fresh greens, a quick vinaigrette, and a sprinkle of crunchy seeds.
The result is a speedy and delicious lunch option!
- Cooked Beets aka Beetroot: Use steamed, canned, or roasted beets. If we don’t have any leftover instant pot steamed beets, I’ll grab a package of Love Beets brand beets from the produce section at our grocery store.
- Sliced Bread: A sturdy whole-grain variety is my favorite, but you-do-you.
- Cottage Cheese: Low-fat, non-fat, or full-fat. If you’re not a fan of the chunky texture try whipping it in the food processor like we did for these cottage cheese toasts.
- Greens: Peppery arugula, baby spinach, or mixed greens are all good options.
- Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, and Honey to make a light vinaigrette for the greens.
- Sunflower Seeds or a small handful of your favorite nuts.
- Lemon Wedge: It brings all of the flavors together.
How To Make Beet Toast
Step 1. Toast the bread in a toaster or toaster oven.
Step 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix together the oil, vinegar, and honey. Add the arugula and toss to coat in the vinaigrette.
Step 3: Spread the cottage cheese over the toasted bread. Top with the arugula and the beet slices, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and sunflower seeds.
Step 4: Squeeze a lemon wedge over everything and dig in!
Try swapping the sunflower seeds for pistachios, pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds), or toasted walnuts.
If you’re not a big cottage cheese fan, use ricotta cheese instead. It goes great with beets!
Amp up the flavor with a sprinkle of orange zest, dried cranberries, or fresh mint.
No bread? Turn it into a wrap! For the one pictured below, I used a large low-carb wrap and swapped the vinaigrette for a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
More Tasty Vegetarian Lunch Ideas
- Golden Beet and Avocado Sandwich
- Peach Toast With Avocado And Feta
- Toasted Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich
- Zucchini and Hummus Pita Sandwiches
- Roasted Red Pepper, Carrot and Hummus Sandwich
- Spicy Chickpea Edamame Salad Pitas
- 1 Slice Bread (we used a whole-grain variety)
- ½ teaspoon Olive Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Honey (or sweetener of choice)
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 Handful Arugula or Mixed Greens, about ½ cup loosely packed
- 1/3 cup (75 grams) Low-Fat Cottage Cheese (use may want to use more depending on the size of your bread)
- ¼ cup Chopped or Sliced Cooked Beets (previously roasted, steamed, or canned)
- 1 tablespoon Sunflower Seeds, Pistachios, or Pepitas
- 1 Lemon Wedge
- Toast the bread in a toaster or toaster oven.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix together the oil, vinegar, and honey. Add the arugula and toss to coat in the vinaigrette.
- Spread the cottage cheese over the toasted bread. Top with the arugula and the beet slices, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and sunflower seeds. Then, squeeze a lemon wedge over everything and dig in!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 Toast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239Total Fat: 6.6gSaturated Fat: 1.9gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 360mgCarbohydrates: 31.3gFiber: 5.4gSugar: 12gProtein: 15g