Loaded with great flavors and protein, this Beet and Cottage Cheese Toast is perfect for a quick lunch or snack. Use roasted, canned or steamed beets!
Are you a fan of beets? I L-O-V-E beets.
They’re so sweet and earthy. Plus they taste great added to salads and sandwiches.
When I can get my hands on golden beets I whip up this Golden Beet and Avocado Sandwich. It’s got a yummy citrus ricotta spread that you’ll want to eat by the spoonful.
Today’s recipe for Roasted Beet and Cottage Cheese Toast is my favorite way to enjoy red beets. It’s simple to make, packed with protein and brings together the fantastic combination of beets + cheese + balsamic vinegar.
Here’s what you’ll need for this tasty vegetarian lunch:
- Cooked Beets. Roasted beets taste best (IMHO) but instant pot mini steamed beets, boiled beets or canned beets make a mighty fine substitute.
- Cottage Cheese. Creamy, salty and loaded with protein. What’s not to like? If for some crazy reason cottage cheese isn’t your thing, a big dollop of ricotta cheese will taste great too.
- Greens. Arugula is my go-to but spinach or kale are also good options.
- Bread for toasting.
- A splash of Balsamic Vinegar and Olive Oil to make a light vinaigrette for the greens.
- Honey or maple syrup – if you like things a little sweeter.
- Sunflower seeds or a small handful of your favorite nuts.
Lastly, grab a few lemon wedges. They’re optional, but I find a quick hit of acid brings all of the flavors together.
- 2 Slices Spelt Bread, (or your favorite whole grain bread)
- 2 Large Cooked Beets (we used roasted beets)
- 1/2 cup Low-Fat Cottage Cheese
- 2 tablespoons Roasted Sunflower Seeds
- 2 cups Arugula or Mixed Greens
- 1 teaspoon Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Honey
- Fine Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- 2 Lemon Wedges
- Toast bread slices.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and honey. Taste and salt and pepper as desired. Add arugula and gently toss with dressing.
- Divide cottage cheese evenly among toast, spread to edges and lightly salt and pepper. Top with arugula, beets, and sunflower seeds.
- Serve with lemon wedge for squeezing over toast just before eating.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 Toast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239Total Fat: 9.3gSaturated Fat: 1.9gCholesterol: 8.5mgSodium: 380.9mgCarbohydrates: 26.8gFiber: 5.4gSugar: 12gProtein: 14.2g
For more quick and easy vegetarian lunchtime inspiration check out this veggie-stuffed Roasted Red Pepper, Carrot and Hummus Sandwich, sweet and tangy Strawberry Spinach Pita Pockets, high protein Spicy Chickpea Edamame Salad Pitas or any of these 12 Ridiculously Delicious Vegetarian Sandwiches, Wraps & Pitas.