Roasted Beet and Cottage Cheese Toast. A quick and nutritious lunch packed with almost 15 grams of protein, fresh greens and earthy sweet beets.
Last week we conquered our beet fears and roasted up a bunch of sweet and earthy Toaster Oven Roasted Beets. Now let’s make something tasty with them! Like a Roasted Beet and Cottage Cheese Toast that’s packed with protein, fresh greens and makes just enough to feed two people.
If you have everything on hand to make the recipe as written, I guarantee a delicious, crunchy (toast), sweet (honey), salty (cottage cheese), earthy (roasted beets) and fresh (arugula and lemons) lunch. If you’re missing ingredients, don’t worry, substitute!
No leftover roasted beets or the hour to cook some up? Substitute canned beets, non-pickled tastes best in this recipe.
Sunflower seed jar empty? Sprinkle on roasted pumpkin seeds, chopped pecans or any crunchy nuts you have on hand. And use any greens in the fridge (like spinach or kale) for making the tangy-sweet honey balsamic vinegar dressed salad.
Think cottage cheese is so 80’s, swap it out for rich and creamy ricotta cheese. Just like cottage cheese, ricotta tastes fantastic with beets especially in a Golden Beet and Avocado Sandwich.
If you’re craving a more filling meal add heart-healthy mashed avocado. Or turn this toast into a sandwich with a second slice of crispy golden toasted bread.
Craving a side of potato chips? Try a batch of guilt-free flaky Toaster Oven Kale Chips instead. Even better layer a few on the toast just before serving. It creates a fun crispy crunchy contrast to the creamy cottage cheese and meaty beets.
For more quick and easy lunchtime inspiration check out this veggie-stuffed Roasted Red Pepper, Carrot and Hummus Sandwich, sweet and tangy Strawberry Spinach Pita Pockets, high protein Spicy Chickpea Edamame Salad Pitas or any of these 12 Ridiculously Delicious Vegetarian Sandwiches, Wraps & Pitas.
- 2 Slices Sesame Spelt Bread (or your favorite whole grain bread)
- 2 large roasted beets , sliced (or canned sliced beets)
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoon roasted sunflower seeds (unsalted taste best)
- 2 cups arugula or mixed greens
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Finely ground sea salt
- 2 lemon wedges
- Toast bread slices. While bread is toasting, in a medium bowl whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar and honey. Taste and salt & pepper to desired level. In the same bowl, gently toss arugula with the dressing.
- Place toast on individual plates. Divide cottage cheese evenly among toast, spread to edges and lightly salt and pepper. Divide arugula evenly among toasts. Top with sliced beets, salt and pepper. Sprinkle sunflower seeds. Serve with lemon wedge to be squeezed over just before eating.
Nutritional Information is an estimate for 1 Toast.