Egg and Cheese Toasts are a quick snack or side that you’ll want to make again and again. They’re ultra-easy to throw together using your toaster oven and perfect for dunking in soup or pairing with a crisp green salad.
Barely a recipe, these egg and cheese toasts are so much fun! I originally stumbled across them in my favorite cookbook Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone by Deborah Madison.
The egg is what makes these toasts different from your basic cheesy toast. It’s lightly beaten and combined with shredded cheese.
As everything bakes on the toast, the egg lightens up the cheese. Making it less gooey and more puffed and golden. Sounds delicious right? It is!
Sliced Bread: Any heartier sandwich bread will work. We’ve used sourdough, whole wheat, and rye bread. Avoid slices with large holes as the egg mixture will just fall through them and onto the pan.
Shredded Cheese: Cheddar, pepper jack, or gruyere are good options. Or you can try mixing two types of cheese together like mozzarella and parmesan.
How to Make Egg and Cheese Toasts
1. Start by lightly toasting the bread or broiling for 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
2. Then preheat the oven to 400°F. If using a toaster oven, adjust the cooking rack to the bottom placement and select the BAKE setting.
3. While the oven heats up, add the egg to a small bowl and beat with a fork until the yolk and white are combined. Stir in the cheese, fresh herbs, and a few pinches of salt and black pepper.
4. Spread the mixture over the bread all the way to the crusts. Then sprinkle them with cayenne powder. The cayenne adds a hit of spice and beautiful red color.
5. Bake until the cheese and egg mixture is puffed, bubbly, and starting to brown, about 10 to 12 minutes.
Cheese Toast Variations
The toasts are great on their own but also incredibly versatile and easy to customize with any type of bread, cheese, and seasonings you want. Think of them like blank savory canvases for all of your favorite toppings!
Below you’ll find our basic recipe plus a few flavor variations we think you might enjoy.
- Use Gruyere for the cheese.
- Spread the toasted bread with dijon mustard, and add a layer of veggie sandwich slices (we used Tofurky Smoked Deli Slices). Then bake as directed.
- *This rich and decadent toast was inspired by a reader named Ron who generously shares his cheesy creations with us 🙂
2. Tomato Toast
- Use a combination of shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheeses tossed with Italian seasoning.
- Once baked, layer the toast with tomato slices and sprinkle with oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Add a drizzle of balsamic glaze if you’re feeling extra.
3. Honey Apple Walnut
This sweet and savory combo is the perfect way to start the day! To make it, bake your cheesy toasts as directed in the recipe and top with:
- crisp apple slices
- a generous drizzle of honey
- and a handful of toasted cinnamon walnuts.
Whether you make them as a snack, soup dipper, or load them up for a quick breakfast, I hope you love these cheesy toasts as much as we do!
More Cheesy Inspiration
- Toaster Oven Grilled Cheese
- Apple and Havarti Grilled Cheese
- Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese
- Toasted Caprese Sandwich
- Toaster Oven Baked Grilled Cheese
- 2 Slices Bread
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) Grated Cheese, like cheddar, pepper jack, or gruyere
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped Fresh Herbs, like thyme or rosemary
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Pinch Cayenne (optional)
- Lightly toast bread or broil for 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. If using a toaster oven adjust the cooking rack to the bottom placement and select the BAKE setting.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl and beat with a fork until the yolk and white are combined. Mix in the cheese and fresh herbs if using. Add salt and pepper as desired. Spread mixture over the bread all the way to the crusts. Sprinkle with cayenne.
- Bake until the cheese and egg mixture is puffed, bubbly, and starting to brown, about 10 to 12 minutes.
Adapted from the Baked Cheese on Toast with Wine recipe from Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 Toast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220Total Fat: 12.9gSaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 123mgSodium: 343mgCarbohydrates: 12.5gFiber: 2.1gSugar: 1.9gProtein: 13.9g