This Peach Toast is part salad, part sandwich, and 100% packed with delicious flavors. Ready in less than 20 minutes it makes an easy vegetarian lunch that’s perfect for summer.
Avocado toast is a great last-minute lunch. It’s a snap to throw together and you can fancy up your toast with whatever’s hanging out in the fridge.
Today we’re adding a juicy peach, sliced kale, and some tangy feta cheese all drizzled with a fruity balsamic vinegar. Sometimes when I make this peach toast I’ll even pop a few strawberry slices on there too.
The mix of fresh ingredients and bright flavors is a compelling combination. Every bite is a little crunchy, creamy, sweet, and salty!
White Balsamic Vinegar: Has a light sweet-tart flavor that goes nicely with the other ingredients, especially the peach slices. You could also use rice wine vinegar, fresh lemon juice, or apple cider vinegar.
Cheese: Crumbled feta adds a fantastic salty savoriness. For a funkier option, use crumbled gorgonzola or goat cheese instead.
Step 1: Toast the bread. Lightly spray or brush the bread with oil and add to a toaster or toaster oven. Once the bread is golden brown and crisped set them aside to cool. Cooling bread gives off moisture – to keep it crisp I like to place the toast on a rack.
Step 2: Soften the kale (optional). Add the kale to a small bowl, top with the vinegar, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Using clean hands, massage the kale for about a minute or until it softens a bit.
If I’m in a hurry I skip this step and just drizzle the vinegar over the kale when I add it to the toast.
Step 3: Mash the avocado. Scoop the avocado onto the toast and gently mash with a fork. You can leave it a little chunky or mash it until smooth. Once it’s at your desired consistency season the avocado with salt and pepper.
Step 4: Assemble the toast. Layer the peach slices and massaged kale onto the avocado. Top with the crumbled feta and drizzle lightly with honey (optional but highly recommended). Then, dig in!
- Swap the kale for some peppery arugula or mixed greens.
- Skip the vinegar and use your favorite salad dressing (ours is this tangy orange vinaigrette).
- For a crunchy topping, add toasted nuts. Pecans, almonds, or pistachios would all taste great.
- Are peaches out of season? Try other fruits! We use persimmon, pear, and apple slices in the colder months.
More Easy Vegetarian Lunch Ideas
- Veggie Subs
- Zucchini and Hummus Pita Sandwiches
- Make-Ahead: Frozen Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Veggie Tortilla Pizza
- Greek Yogurt Chickpea Salad Wrap
- 26 Mouthwatering Vegetarian Sandwiches and Wraps
- 2 Slices Bread (we used whole-grain variety, but you do you)
- Olive Oil Spray, optional
- 1 Ripe Small Avocado
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 Ripe Peach, pitted and thinly slices
- 1 cup Thinly Sliced Lacinato Kale Leaves, (about 3 leaves with stems removed)
- 1½ teaspoons White Balsamic Vinegar (see note)
- 2 tablespoon Crumbled Feta, Gorgonzola, or Goat Cheese
- Honey for drizzling, optional
- Lightly spray both sides of the bread with oil. Toast in the toaster oven until the bread is golden brown and crisped. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl combine the kale, vinegar, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Using clean hands, massage the kale until it softens slightly, about 1 minute.
- Slice the avocado in half and remove the pit. Use a spoon to scoop the flesh onto the toast and gently mash with a fork to desired consistency (I like to leave the avocado kind of chunky). Then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Top the mashed avocado with the peach slices, massaged kale, and crumbled feta. Drizzle lightly with honey (if desired) and enjoy!
White Balsamic Vinegar Substitutes: Rice wine vinegar, fresh lemon juice, or apple cider vinegar.
Other Greens: Arugula, spinach, or mixed greens would all taste delicious and don’t need to be massaged like the kale. Just dress them lightly with vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 Toast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 307Total Fat: 16.7gSaturated Fat: 3.6gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 127mgCarbohydrates: 33.7gFiber: 10gSugar: 7.7gProtein: 4.7g