This Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese is rich, creamy, crunchy, and loaded with spicy flavor. It’s everything you love about the classic appetizer in grilled cheese form.
Calling all cheese-lovers, this fun Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese Recipe is for you! It’s basically your second favorite cheesy appetizer (come on, nachos has to be #1) turned into a super satisfying toaster oven grilled cheese.
Yeah, it’s a tiny bit over the top and not something I’d indulge in every day. But sometimes you just NEED a little straight-up comfort food.
Here’s a quick preview of the splurge-worthy ingredients:
- Broiled Jalapeño slices
- Tangy cream cheese
- Crisp green onion
- 2 types of shredded cheese
- A drizzle of sweet honey
- Crunchy cornflakes
The honey may sound a little unconventional but trust me, it balances out the heat of the jalapeño perfectly.
Sandwiched between the gooey slices the crisp cornflakes make each bite taste amazing. If you’re out of corn flakes, try substituting crushed potato chips. (FYI: Our cornflakes were crispy but some have reported theirs ended up soggy).
~ Keep scrolling for step by step photos & tips after the recipe ~
- 1 medium Jalapeño
- 2 slices Whole Grain Bread
- 2 teaspoons Mayonnaise
- 1-ounce Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon Sliced Green Onions
- dash of Garlic Powder
- 1-ounce Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese, (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 ounce Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese, (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons Honey
- 1/4 cup Corn Flakes Cereal (optional)
Broil the Jalapeño:
- Cut jalapeño into 1/4-inch slices. If you want your sandwich less spicy, use a paring knife to remove the seeds and veins.
- Place jalapeño slices on a baking sheet, and BROIL until they have softened and are just starting to brown about 2 to 4 minutes. Remove pan and set aside.
Make the Sandwich:
- Adjust the cooking rack to the bottom position. Place an empty sheet pan inside of the toaster oven, and preheat to 400°F on the BAKE setting.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with mayonnaise. Place the bread mayo-side-down on a cutting board.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, green onion, and garlic powder. Spread each slice of bread with the mixture. Arrange jalapeño slices in an even layer on one slice and distribute the cheese evenly over both pieces of bread.
- Carefully remove the pan and add the bread, mayo-side-down, to the pan.
- Return to the oven and bake until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted and bubbly about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Drizzle the honey over the jalapeño and sprinkle with corn flakes (if using). Top with the remaining cheesy bread slice and dig in!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 Sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 545Total Fat: 29.2gSaturated Fat: 15.6gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 733mgCarbohydrates: 50.5gFiber: 5.6gSugar: 17.6gProtein: 22.1g
3 Quick Tips
Tip #1 – Glove Up
If you’ve got a pair of plastic or latex gloves handy slip them on before you start prepping the pepper.
What if you don’t have gloves? Make sure not to touch your eyes or face while handling the jalapeño and wash your hands well afterward.
Tip #2 – Adjust the Heat
Jalapeños range from mild to super spicy, take a small bite of your raw jalapeño to see how spicy it is.
Want less heat in your sandwich? Use a knife to slice away the membrane and seeds before broiling (that’s where most of the pepper’s heat comes from).
Tip #3 – Make a Faux-Griddle
Pop an empty sheet pan inside your toaster oven while it preheats.
When you add your bread to the preheated pan it will act as a griddle and immediately begin cooking the sandwich, giving it that gorgeous golden toasted color and irresistible crispy ‘grilled’ texture.
Looking for more vegetarian sandwich recipes?
Here are a few of my favorites: