Give your baked sweet potatoes a protein-rich boost with some creamy cottage cheese and granola! The combo is deliciously sweet and salty and makes for a surprisingly satisfying breakfast or lunch.
Sweet potatoes are so versatile you really can stuff them with anything that you like.
This cottage cheese sweet potato with cinnamon, granola, and honey is one of our latest topping creations. It’s crunchy and creamy and features an irresistible salty-sweet flavor combo.
Perfect for a protein-packed breakfast that will keep you full until lunch!
The baked sweet potato halves reheat well in an oven or toaster oven so feel free to make extras for meal prepping.
- Sweet Potato: Use an orange, white, or purple variety. Make sure to scrub and dry the sweet potato well.
- Oil: Rubbing a little on the skin makes it crispier and more flavorful.
- Cinnamon: Mash some with the sweet potato and sprinkle more on top.
- Cottage Cheese: Ricotta cheese or Greek yogurt are good options if you’re out of cottage cheese.
- Granola: Use any variety that you like or swap the granola for chopped nuts, seeds, or toasted coconut.
- Honey: Maple syrup or agave nectar also work.
- Optional Fruit: Fresh blueberries, strawberries, or blackberries. When in season, half a chopped peach makes a fantastic addition.
Can’t get enough cottage cheese recipes? Try our easy cottage cheese toast!
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. If using a toaster oven, adjust the cooking rack to the lowest position and select the BAKE setting.
2. Carefully slice the raw sweet potato in half lengthwise. Then add the halves to a pan and drizzle them with the oil. Rub the oil over the skins and flesh and place the halves with the cut sides facing the pan.
3. Bake until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender, ours usually take about 25 to 30 minutes. Then set the pan aside to cool for a few minutes.
4. Flip the halves over, sprinkle them with cinnamon, and use a fork to mash the flesh.
5. Top the sweet potatoes with the cottage cheese, sprinkle with more cinnamon and the granola, then drizzle with the honey. Add fresh berries if desired and dig in!
How to Meal Prep This Recipe
These sweet potatoes make a great weekday breakfast or lunch and are perfect for meal prepping.
- Cook as many sweet potato halves as you’d like (refrigerated they’ll keep for around 4 days).
- Once baked, mash some cinnamon into each half and then let them cool completely.
- Store the sweet potatoes, cottage cheese, and granola in separate containers.
When ready to eat, place two sweet potato halves on a baking sheet. Warm in a 325°F toaster oven for 10 to 15 minutes or microwave for 1 to 3 minutes. Then add your toppings and enjoy.
More Tasty Sweet Potato Recipes
Looking for more fun ways to enjoy sweet potatoes? Here are some of our favorite options:
- Try our popular Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds (with lots of topping ideas of course!)
- Load up on fruits and veggies with this Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Kale Salad
- Make an easy to customize Sweet Potato Veggie Wrap for lunch
- Dive into these better-than-takeout BBQ Tempeh Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Raw Sweet Potato (about 6 or 7 ounces)
- ¼ teaspoon Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
- Ground Cinnamon
- ½ cup (113 grams) 2% Cottage Cheese
- 2 tablespoons (13 grams) Granola
- 1 teaspoon (7 grams) Honey
- Fresh Berries, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. If using a toaster oven, select the BAKE setting and adjust the cooking rack to the lowest position.
- Slice the sweet potato in half lengthwise, rub the oil over the skin and flesh, and place the sweet potatoes with the cut sides facing the pan.
- Bake until fork-tender, about 30 minutes, then set the pan aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Flip the sweet potatoes over, sprinkle with cinnamon, and use a fork to mash the flesh.
- Top with the cottage cheese, sprinkle with more cinnamon and the granola then drizzle with honey. Add some fresh berries if desired and devour!
For meal prep: Bake the sweet potatoes and gently mash some cinnamon into each half. Once they’ve cooled completely, store the sweet potatoes, cottage cheese, and granola in separate containers. When ready to eat, warm the sweet potato halves in the toaster oven (350F for 10-15 minutes) or microwave (1-3 minutes) and add the toppings.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 2 topped sweet potato halves
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2.2gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 463mgCarbohydrates: 53.3gFiber: 4.7gSugar: 9.2gProtein: 19.5g