A toaster oven grilled cheese sandwich is the perfect easy office lunch, late night snack, or treat for whenever you’ve got a gooey melty cheese craving. If you struggle with burning grilled cheese sandwiches on your stovetop, you’re going to love this foolproof toaster oven method!
Want to make lunchtime even easier? Check out these Make-Ahead Frozen Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.
Is there anything better than a grilled cheese sandwich?
The combination of buttery toasted bread and melty cheese is so comforting. Each bite feels like a warm hug. And some days, friend, you just NEED a good cheesy hug!
But why use a toaster oven to make your sandwich you ask?
Whenever I make a grilled cheese on the stove I always burn my bread before the cheese can melt.
It’s my own fault. I’m impatient and turn up the heat.
If you can’t help from fiddling with the heat either, then you’re going to LOVE making grilled cheese sandwiches in your toaster oven. The heat in your little oven stays consistent so your sandwich comes out perfectly “grilled” every time.
~ Keep scrolling for step by step photos & toaster oven tips after the recipe ~
- 2 slices Bread
- 2 teaspoons Butter, softened
- 2 slices Cheese, about 1.5 ounces (we used Provolone)
- Adjust toaster oven cooking rack to the lowest position. Place your empty baking sheet inside the toaster oven and preheat it to 425°F or 450°F on the “Bake” setting. (See Note)
- Spread the outside of each slice of bread with butter. Place one piece of bread buttered-side-down on a cutting board and top with cheese slices. Top with remaining bread slice, buttered-side-up.
- Using oven mitts, carefully remove the preheated pan. Place the sandwich on the pan and return to the toaster oven.
- Cook sandwich until the bottom is toasted and browned, about 4 minutes.
- Carefully remove the pan again, flip the sandwich with a spatula and return to the toaster oven for another 3 to 4 minutes or until the second side is browned and the cheese is melted.
- Cool slightly, then slice in half and devour.
Temperature: While 450°F works great for our toaster ovens and many others, toaster ovens do vary. So you might need to play around with the temperature and time a bit to find the perfect settings for your little oven. If your oven is known to run hot or you’re using a convection toaster oven, try adjusting the temperature down to 425°F or 400°F.
Rack Placement: If your toaster oven has multiple rack levels, you can give the middle rack placement a try and see how you like it.
Pan Color: A darker colored pan will toast your bread faster, adjust the timing as needed.
Bread Type: This recipe was created and tested using a hearty multi-grain bread. A soft and squishy sandwich bread that has more sugar in it will toast faster, for the best results lower the temperature and/or reduce the cooking time.
Air-Fryer Style Toaster Oven: Use the Air-Fry setting with the temperature at 350°F. Add the sandwich to the air-fry basket and cook until browning on top, about 3 to 4 minutes, then flip it and cook until golden and browned on the other side, about 1 minute more.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 Grilled Cheese
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 353Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 12.5gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 640mgCarbohydrates: 23.5gFiber: 3.9gSugar: 3.6gProtein: 17.8g
While I usually keep my grilled cheese sandwich simple, I do like to use quality ingredients:
- Hearty multigrain bread instead of stick-to-the-top-of-your-mouth squishy white bread. It gives the sandwich uber crispy edges and way more flavor.
- For the cheese, thick slices of provolone or cheddar work great. Avoid shredded cheese, it will melt too quickly. If you want to use shredded cheese try this Toaster Oven Baked Grilled Cheese recipe instead.
- If an only cheese sandwich feels too indulgent add some roasted sweet potato rounds (sounds strange I know, but it’s so good), garlicy toaster oven roasted broccoli (Broccoli + Cheese is always a delicious combo!) or add some fruit like in this Grilled Cheese with Apple and Havarti.
- Last and best of all, only real butter – no margarine!
How to make Grilled Cheese in a Toaster Oven
I start by adjusting the toaster oven’s cooking rack to the bottom position aka the area closest to the heat.
Next, place your baking pan on the rack and preheat the toaster oven on the “Bake” setting. By preheating the pan you’re creating a mini griddle. This is your SECRET WEAPON for getting the bread crisped and golden.
Then spread one side of each bread slice with butter. Mayo works great too, we used it for this Toasted Caprese Sandwich.
To assemble your sandwich:
- Place one piece of bread (buttered-side-down) on a cutting board.
- Top with whatever cheese and extra fillings your heart desires.
- Cover with the remaining bread slice (buttered-side-up).
Once you’re ready, remove the preheated pan using oven mitts or gloves. Watch out it will be very H-O-T.
Plop your sandwich down in the middle of the pan and return it to the toaster oven. A quick four minutes later the bottom bread slice should be lightly browned (it will get toasted more in the next step).
Now, you’ve got to flip it!
Yep, like a traditional stove-top grilled cheese, you need to flip your sandwich. Otherwise, the other side won’t brown.
Carefully remove the hot pan again and flip your sandwich with a spatula. I don’t know why flipping a sandwich gives me such anxiety but if you’re like me, take a breath – it’s going to be fine, you’ve got this.
Pop the pan back in the toaster oven and three to four minutes later your sandwich will be perfectly toasted. Let it cool slightly, so you don’t burn your tongue, and then dig in!
We also shared this toaster oven grilled cheese sandwich recipe on Food Fanatic.