This Toasted Caprese Sandwich is loaded with juicy tomato slices, melted mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. It tastes so good you’ll want to make it for lunch all summer!
For starters, one can never have too many tasty go-to sandwich recipes. Like this quick and easy balsamic asparagus and hummus toast, super filling roasted red pepper, carrot, and hummus sandwich, make-ahead frozen grilled cheese, or any of these 20 Healthy Vegetarian Sandwiches.
Plus this recipe is made a little differently from those other grilled cheeses. There’s no stopping to flip the sandwich.
How is this possible you ask? It’s super simple, you use your toaster oven’s TOAST function!
Toasting the bread and melting the cheese BEFORE FILLING keeps the juicy tomato slices from making the sandwich soggy. This way you end up with a sandwich that’s the perfect combo of gooey, toasty, fresh, and tasty.
No worries if you don’t have a ‘TOAST’ function, there are instructions after the recipe for making this sandwich with your standard ‘BAKE’ setting.
~ Keep scrolling for step by step photos & grilled cheese tips after the recipe ~
- 2 slices Multigrain Bread
- 2 teaspoons Mayonnaise (or softened butter)
- 2 slices Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 small Fresh Tomato, ripe and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 3 large Fresh Basil Leaves, thinly sliced
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Balsamic Glaze, optional
- Spread mayonnaise on one side of each bread slice. Flip slices over and top each one with a slice of mozzarella.
- Place bread with cheese facing up directly on the toaster oven cooking rack. Set toaster oven to TOAST and cook until bread is toasted and cheese is melted about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle half the basil on one slice of toasted cheese bread. Add tomato and season with salt and pepper drizzle with balsamic glaze (if using). Top with remaining basil and place the other toast on top (cheese-side down) and dig in!
To make this sandwich in our Breville Smart Oven Pro Countertop Oven we use the TOAST function with a Darkness Level of 5 or 6 and Slices Setting of 4.
To prepare in a traditional oven: Preheat oven to 400°F. Follow the instructions for preparing the bread and cheese and place the slices on a baking sheet. Cook until the bottom of the bread is golden and toasted, about 6 to 7 minutes. If the cheese is not melted enough, broil for 1 to 2 minutes. Top with the basil and tomato, and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 Sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 354Total Fat: 15.7gSaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 633mgCarbohydrates: 30.6gFiber: 5.1gSugar: 6.4gProtein: 22g
Toasted Cheese Sandwich 101
Start by slathering 2 pieces of bread with a little mayo on one side and top each of the dry sides with a slice of cheese.
Next, place the bread side-by-side on the rack in your toaster oven. Set the machine to TOAST and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes.
As soon as the cheese is bubbling and the bread is toasted, it’s time to put your sandwich together.
Layer one slice with basil, tomato, salt and pepper, a drizzle of balsamic glaze (if you please), and more basil. Top with the remaining cheesy toast and dig in!
*If your toaster oven doesn’t have a ‘TOAST’ setting, you can use the ‘BAKE’ setting instead.
- Use the bottom rack placement and preheat to 400°F.
- Follow the instructions for preparing the bread and cheese. Place the slices directly on the rack or on a baking sheet.
- Cook until the bottom of the bread is golden and toasted, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- If the cheese is not melted enough, switch to the ‘BROIL’ setting for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Top with the basil and tomato, and enjoy!
4 Top Tips
Tip #1: Mayo > Butter. Don’t get me wrong I LOVE butter. But after lots of urging from readers, we gave mayo a try and discovered that it’s fantastic at turning bread golden and toasted. Plus you don’t have to wait for it to soften like butter.
Tip #2: Use the BEST, reddest, juiciest tomato you can find.
Tip #3: I know the recipe says optional but don’t skip the Balsamic Glaze. It’s thick, tangy, sweet, and tastes delicious drizzled on any vegetable (like roasted cabbage wedges) but especially on fresh tomatoes. Balsamic glaze can be found at Trader Joe’s and most major grocery stores. If you want to try making your own, check out this easy Balsamic Glaze Recipe from Rachel Cooks.
Tip #4: Lastly, this Toasted Caprese Sandwich Recipe works best in a traditional old-school toaster oven. If you’ve got a fancy one (like our Breville Smart Oven Pro BOV845BSS) with “smart toasting technology” you’ll probably need to play around a little adjusting the darkness level and the number of slices to find the perfect settings for your sandwich.