Bright and tangy, this Orange Vinaigrette tastes great on salads or drizzled over roasted vegetables. Made with half an orange and a few basic pantry ingredients, it’ll be ready to perk up your next meal in just a few minutes!
The inside of our refrigerator doors used to be a hot sticky mess. There were always a bunch of leftover barely-used bottles of salad dressing cluttering up everything. To reduce our food waste (and free up some space in the fridge) we started creating small-batch sauces and dressings that make only enough for one or two people.
Making your own dressing takes just a few minutes and lets you customize the ingredients and flavors to your liking.
This Orange Vinaigrette is one of my favorite quick salad dressing and why I always freeze extra oranges. The bright flavor tastes great paired with fresh greens like kale and spinach but it’s also delicious drizzled over a pan of roasted broccoli or Brussels sprouts.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- Orange Juice and Zest – About half a large navel orange should do it. Zest the skin first, then juice.
- Olive Oil – For a light and tangy vinaigrette we use just 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil. If you prefer a richer flavor (and a more stable emulsion), increase the oil by 3 or 4 teaspoons.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – We’ve tried this recipe with different kinds of vinegar from balsamic to red wine. Hands down, the sweet-tart flavor of apple cider vinegar tastes the best.
- Maple Syrup – A quick drizzle adds sweetness and balances the vinegar and citrus.
- Salt and Black Pepper – Add a little, taste, and adjust to your liking.
- Sriracha – Totally optional but I love the spicy heat and extra seasonings. They pair so well with the dressing’s vibrant orange flavor!
Once you’ve got your orange zested and juiced this dressing comes together in less than a minute.
To make the vinaigrette just add all of the ingredients to a bowl and whisk vigorously to combine. Or add to a jar, seal with a lid, and shake well.
All that’s left is to add it to a fresh and healthy salad (like this Vegetarian Broccoli Salad with Orange Vinaigrette) and dig in!
- 1/2 teaspoon Orange Zest
- 2 tablespoons Orange Juice (about half a large orange)
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or more as desired)
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons Maple Syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon Fine Sea Salt
- 2 Pinches Black Pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha Sauce, optional
- Add all of the ingredients to a jar, top with a lid, and shake until well combined.
- Taste the vinaigrette and adjust the seasonings, adding more salt, pepper, or maple syrup as desired.
- Shake once again just before serving.
For a richer less tangy dressing, increase the olive oil to 2 tablespoons.
Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container and use within 2 to 3 days for the best flavor.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 2 Tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 83Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 118mgCarbohydrates: 5.2gFiber: 0.1gSugar: 4.3gProtein: 0.1g