Made with creamy baked sweet potatoes and hearty tempeh, these BBQ Tempeh Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are a quick and easy weeknight dinner for two. Ready in just 35 minutes!
Whenever I’m craving comfort food, I like to whip up this BBQ tempeh stuffed sweet potatoes recipe. The sticky bbq filling tastes like takeout but it also has plenty of protein and comes together quick enough that we can make it on a weeknight.
Looking over the ingredients and steps, the recipe may feel a little intimidating at first. Our popular spaghetti squash burrito bowls recipe has the same effect.
But trust me, once you start cooking you’ll see it’s easier than it looks!
Sweet Potatoes: Red or orange sweet potatoes work best in this recipe (some stores call them yams).
Tempeh: It’s a cake of fermented soy and grains. Don’t focus too much on that previous sentence, just know it’s got a nutty flavor, toothy texture, and tastes delicious coated in BBQ sauce or tossed in a quick tempeh salad.
BBQ Sauce: Use your favorite variety. We like the Sriracha Garlic BBQ Sauce from Trader Joe’s. It’s the perfect blend of spicy, tangy, and sweet.
Guacamole or Avocado: It keeps the dish from being overly sweet. You don’t need a lot, just a quick dollop.
Step by Step Instructions
1. Get The Sweet Potatoes Baking
This recipe uses our go-to method for making quick baked sweet potatoes. To bake up your sweet potatoes faster, slice them in half lengthwise.
Then lightly oil the halves, place them face down on a baking sheet and toss the pan in a 400°F oven or toaster oven.
About 25 to 30 minutes later (larger sweet potatoes will take a few minutes longer) you’ll have a pair of fork-tender sweet potatoes ready to be topped.
2. Make Your Filling
While the sweet potatoes bake, chop your veggies and prep the tempeh. I like to crumble the tempeh into thicker chunks, but if you prefer a finer crumble that’ll work too.
To make the filling, pour a little oil into a skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, peppers, and tempeh. Once the veggies soften and the tempeh is browned (that should take about 8 or 9 minutes) it’s time to add the sauce.
Pro Tip: To keep the barbeque sauce from sputtering all over your stovetop, remove the pan from the heat before stirring it in.
3. Put It All Together
Mash the sweet potato flesh down a bit with a fork and season with salt and pepper. Then, pile on the tempeh filling.
Top with lots of crisp shredded cabbage (or lettuce), a dollop of creamy guacamole, and dig in!
More Yummy Sweet Potato Recipes
- Addictive Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds
- 10 Quick and Easy Sweet Potato Toppings
- Mini Sweet Potato Hand Pies
- Kale Apple Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Veggie Wrap
- Pizza Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Streusel Topped Sweet Potatoes
- Easy Sweet Potato Nachos
For the Sweet Potatoes:
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes, 7 ounces each
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
For the BBQ Tempeh Filling:
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Chopped Onion
- 5 Mini Bell Peppers, or half a large Yellow, Orange or Red Bell Pepper
- 1 8-ounce package Tempeh
- 6 tablespoons Barbecue Sauce
- Shredded Cabbage, or Lettuce
- Guacamole, or Avocado Slices
- Fresh Cilantro
Bake the Sweet Potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. If using a toaster oven, select the BAKE setting and adjust the cooking rack to the bottom placement.
- Slice sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and use your hands to rub oil onto the potatoes and pan.
- Bake sweet potatoes (with interiors facing the pan) until they are fork-tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
Make the Filling:
- Remove tops and seeds from mini bell peppers, chop into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, add onion and bell pepper. Crumble tempeh into the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables have softened and the tempeh is browned in spots about 8 to 9 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat, add BBQ sauce. Stir well, taste, and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Mash the flesh of the sweet potatoes with a fork, season with salt and pepper.
- Top sweet potatoes with the tempeh mixture, red cabbage, guacamole (or avocado slices), and cilantro. Serve warm and enjoy!
Convection Toaster Oven Adjustments: Bake sweet potatoes at 400°F but begin checking for doneness after 20 minutes, adding more time as needed.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 2 topped sweet potato halves
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 660Total Fat: 18.5gSaturated Fat: 3.1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 967mgCarbohydrates: 101.7gFiber: 17.7gSugar: 24.9gProtein: 23.4g