These Cake Mix Pumpkin Muffins are moist, delicious, and so easy to whip up. All you need to make them are two simple ingredients: pumpkin puree and half a boxed spice cake mix!
Half Batch Pumpkin Muffins
Once we figured out how to make half a cake mix we’ve been whipping up smaller batches of all of our favorite semi-homemade treats. These easy 2-ingredient muffins are an oldie but a goodie that’s always a hit, especially during fall.
The original recipe made 12 large muffins (a bit too much for our little household). By dividing everything in half, you end up with just 6 cozy spiced muffins. And you’ll have enough mix leftover to make a small batch of cake mix cookie bars.
Half a 15.25 oz Boxed Spice Cake Mix: You won’t be needing any of the eggs, oil, or water called for on the box. Just half of the mix.
Pumpkin Puree: The recipe uses half a can, if you need ideas for using up the extra pumpkin check out these Baked Pumpkin Donuts (or Donut Holes), Small Batch Pumpkin Spice Cookies, or this post for how to freeze canned pumpkin.
More Spices (Optional): I like to add some cinnamon and ginger to really punch up that spiced flavor!
Step By Step Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. In our toaster oven, I like to use the middle rack to bake muffins, but the bottom rack works just fine too. Spray a 6-cavity muffin pan with cooking oil spray.
2. A digital scale is the best way to measure out part of a boxed cake mix. It’s more accurate and also means fewer measuring cups to wash. But you can always use cups to measure by lightly spooning the mix into the cups and leveling the tops with the back of a knife.
Note: If you find yourself resizing recipes often, having a few of these Handy Small Batch Cooking Tools (like a scale!) makes it a lot easier.
3. Once you’ve got the mix measured add the cinnamon and ginger (if using) and whisk to combine. Now add the pumpkin and stir everything together really well until a smooth and very thick batter comes together.
4. Divide the batter between the muffin cups and smooth the tops with a rubber spatula.
5. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly free of crumbs, about 18 to 22 minutes. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
Recipe Notes and Tips
Mini Muffins: Bake at 350°F for 12 to 15 minutes. Yields 16 to 18 mini muffins.
Using a Yellow Cake Mix: If you can’t find a spiced cake mix, you can make your own by whisking together half of a boxed yellow cake mix with 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon ginger, and a pinch of cloves. *Omit the extra optional spices in the recipe.
Mixins: Try adding ¼ cup of dried cranberries or raisins, white chocolate chips, pepitas, mini chocolate chips, granola, chopped pecans, walnuts, or candied ginger.
Toppings: Sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on top before baking or dust the cooled muffins with powdered sugar. One of my favorite ways to enjoy them is cold from the fridge topped with a dollop of whipped cream – it makes them taste like pumpkin pie!
More Small Batch Cake Mix Recipes:
- Cake Mix Mini Cakes
- Blueberry Coffee Cake (Cake Mix Recipe)
- Small Batch Cake Mix Cookies
- Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins (3 Ingredients!)
- Half a 15.25 oz Boxed Spice Cake Mix (216 grams or 7.62 Ounces or 1⅔ cups spooned and leveled)
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Ginger (optional)
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons (212 grams or 7.5 ounces) Canned Pumpkin Puree
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position and preheat to 350°F. If using a toaster oven, select the BAKE setting and use either the middle or bottom rack positions.
- Spray a 6-cavity muffin pan with oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the cake mix, cinnamon, and ginger. Whisk to combine.
- Add the pumpkin and beat with a hand mixer or stir until the batter is smooth and there are no dry spots or lumps. *The batter will be very thick.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups and smooth the tops with a rubber spatula.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean, about 18 to 23 minutes.
- Cool muffins in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
To Make Mini Muffins: Bake at 350°F for 12 to 15 minutes. Yields 16 to 18 mini muffins.
Spice Cake Mix Substitute: Whisk together half of a boxed yellow cake mix with 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon ginger, and a pinch of cloves. *Omit the optional spices in the recipe above.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 146Total Fat: 1.4gSaturated Fat: 0.8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 269mgCarbohydrates: 32.8gFiber: 1.5gSugar: 16.2gProtein: 2.3g