If you’re a sweet potato fan, you’ve got to try these streusel-topped sweet potatoes! The combination of creamy baked sweet potatoes topped with a crispy, buttery, crumbly oat mixture is practically addictive.
Faster Baked Sweet Potatoes
Most recipes call for cooking sweet potatoes in the oven (or toaster oven) for over an hour. But for this recipe, we’re going to cut the cooking time in half by using our popular quick baked sweet potatoes.
Are you ready for the super-secret method? Here you go…just slice the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise before cooking! Seriously, that’s it.
While I love the shorter cooking time (especially for quick meals like these cottage cheese sweet potatoes), my favorite thing about making sweet potatoes this way is their flavor.
There’s the usual sweetness plus a hint of roasted flavor. Perfect for pairing with a crunchy pecan streusel!
As written the recipe makes 4 twice-baked sweet potato halves. If you’re cooking for a crowd, feel free to double the ingredients. The leftovers reheat wonderfully in the toaster oven.
Butter: Regular or vegan butter (stick, not spread) will both work great.
Flour: All-purpose or white whole wheat. Or you can swap the flour with oat flour, more rolled oats, a gluten-free flour blend, or almond meal.
How to Make Streusel Sweet Potatoes
Step 1: Bake The Sweet Potatoes. Preheat the oven to 400°F, slice the potatoes in half lengthwise, rub all over lightly with oil, and place them on a sheet pan with the orange flesh facing the pan. Bake until tender, about 30 to 35 minutes.
Step 2: Make The Streusel. Stir together the pecans, oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Add the butter and using clean hands (or a fork) work the butter into the oat mixture until it forms into small clumps.
Step 3: Add The Topping. Carefully flip the sweet potatoes over and season with cinnamon and nutmeg. Using a fork, gently mash the flesh. Then, sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the sweet potatoes.
Step 4. Bake at 375°F until the streusel is lightly browned and crispy, about 15 minutes more. Let the sweet potatoes cool slightly, then dig in!
Tips and Variations
Make Them Sweeter: If you’d like a sweeter dish, you can drizzle the sweet potatoes with maple syrup before mashing.
For an over-the-top side dish, scoop out some of the flesh and mix it with a little cream, orange zest, and brown sugar. Then stuff it back into the sweet potato shells.
Reheating: Place cooked sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and add to a preheated 325°F toaster oven for about 10 minutes or until they are warmed through and the topping is crispy again.
More Tasty Sweet Potato Recipes
- Sweet Potato Veggie Wrap
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Kale Salad
- Mini Sweet Potato Hand Pies
- Mini Sweet Potato Hand Pies
- Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds
- 10 Quick and Easy Sweet Potato Toppings
For the Sweet Potatoes:
- 2 Sweet Potatoes, 10 to 12 ounces each, scrubbed and dried
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/16 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
For the Streusel:
- 1 ounce Raw Pecan Pieces, (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 3 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon Fine Sea Salt
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, cold, cut into pieces (dairy-free stick butter will also work)
Bake the Sweet Potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. If using a toaster oven, select the BAKE setting and adjust the cooking rack to the lowest position.
- Slice sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, add to a baking sheet and drizzle with oil. Use your hands to rub the oil over the skins and flesh.
- Bake sweet potatoes (with the cut side facing the pan) until fork-tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove the pan from the oven and allow the sweet potatoes to cool for 5 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 375°F and leave the oven on.
Make the Streusel:
- Roughly chop the pecans. Combine the chopped pecans, oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the butter and use your fingertips to work the butter into the oat mixture until it forms into small clumps.
- Refrigerate streusel until the sweet potatoes are ready for topping.
- Flip the cooled sweet potatoes over and sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. Use a fork to gently mash the flesh and combine the seasoning.
- Distribute crumble topping evenly over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake until the streusel is lightly browned and crispy, about 15 minutes. Cool slightly before digging in!
Place stuffed sweet potatoes on a sheet pan. Bake at 325°F for about 10 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are warmed through and the crumble is crispy again.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 streusel sweet potato
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 218Total Fat: 8.4gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 95mgCarbohydrates: 33.4gFiber: 3.6gSugar: 13gProtein: 3.5g