Wednesday’s recipe for Roasting Asparagus in a Toaster Oven makes for a wonderful vegetable side. Want to turn that roasted asparagus into a complete meal? Try this delicious Roasted Lemon Asparagus White Bean Couscous Salad.
So what’s everyone bringing to the table? For a small grain, whole wheat couscous is pretty heavy in the protein department.
White beans lend a tremendous amount of fiber. Their creaminess gives a nice contrast to the tender yet crisp asparagus.
A healthy sprinkling of parmesan and its strong salty flavor delights the taste buds.
All while a single tablespoon of coconut oil and juices from the roasted lemon dress the entire salad.
Kick off spring with this recipe for Roasted Lemon Asparagus White Bean Couscous Salad and enjoy a satisfying and light spring dinner for 2.
- 1 bunch asparagus, (about 13 ounces)
- Half of 1 medium lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, (melted) or olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely shredded vegetarian parmesan cheese
- 1 and 1/2 cups cooked white beans, (Rinse canned beans well if using)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry whole wheat couscous
- Preheat toaster oven to 425 F and lightly oil your roasting pan.
- Wash and dry asparagus, remove ends (to know where to chop, pull back an few asparagus ends until they snap, the general point where the stalks snap is where you should chop the ends off at).
- Chop asparagus into thirds and place on covered roasting pan.
- Quarter lemon half and slice into 1/4 inch triangles. Spread lemon slices over asparagus.
- Drizzle oil over asparagus and lemons, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss everything on pan to make sure the asparagus and lemon are well coated.
- Roast in toaster oven at 425 F for 12 to 14 minutes stirring every 4 or 5 minutes to allow for even roasting. Asparagus is done when the tips are gently browned and the stalks are tender yet still a bit firm.
- While the asparagus is cooking, boil 1/2 cup water in a small sauce pan. Once it boils, remove pan from heat, stir in couscous and cover. Let sit covered for 5 minutes and then fluff finished couscous with a fork.
- In a large bowl stir together couscous and beans, add pepper if desired. Gently stir in roasted asparagus and lemon, make sure to include any juices or oil in the bottom of the pan.
- Divide salad among 2 bowls and top each with 2 tablespoons of shredded parmesan.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 468 Total Fat: 11.3g Saturated Fat: 8.4g Cholesterol: 9.6mg Sodium: 502.1mg Carbohydrates: 69g Fiber: 12.3g Sugar: 3.4g Protein: 24.9g