Balsamic Asparagus and Hummus Toast
This Balsamic Asparagus and Hummus Toast makes a light but filling vegetarian lunch for two. Featuring crispy whole-grain toast spread with hummus and topped with tender asparagus spears, crunchy walnuts, melted cheese, and a drizzle of tangy balsamic vinegar.
Remember those roasted asparagus spears we made last week? That balsamic drizzled batch of veggie yumminess has been on my mind all week.
So we made another batch but instead of serving it as a side dish, we turned it into a tasty vegetarian lunch of Balsamic Asparagus and Hummus Toast.
You are going to love how easy and flavorful this toast is. It’s got:
- Creamy garlic hummus (If you only have plain hummus on hand try sprinkling it with a pinch of garlic salt before adding the other toppings.)
- Tangy balsamic vinegar
- Buttery walnuts
- Sweet roasted asparagus spears
It’s crispy, creamy, crunchy, tangy, and ready in less than 30 minutes!
Balsamic Asparagus and Hummus Toast
When asparagus is not in season, leftover roasted vegetables like cauliflower or broccoli make a tasty substitute.
For The Asparagus
- 8 ounces fresh asparagus spears, , washed and dried
- 1/2 teaspoon grapeseed or olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
For The Toasts
- 2 slices whole-grain bread
- 1/4 teaspoon grapeseed or olive oil
- 1/4 cup roasted garlic hummus, (or you favorite flavored hummus)
- 0.5 ounces roughly chopped walnuts, (about six large walnut halves)
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 2 lemon wedges
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
To Make The Asparagus
- Adjust the cooking rack to the bottom placement and preheat toaster oven to 425°F on the BAKE setting.
- Cut or snap the ends off the asparagus.
- Place asparagus on a baking sheet with tips facing the same direction. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roll the spears around the pan to evenly coat with oil.
- Roast asparagus for 7 to 11 minutes or until fork-tender but with a slight crispness. Cool slightly and then slice in half width-wise and set aside.
To Make The Toasts
- Set toaster oven to the TOAST setting and brush bread slices with oil.
- Toast bread until golden brown, cool 3 to 5 minutes before topping.
- Spread each cooled toast with 2 tablespoons of hummus. Evenly top with asparagus, walnuts, and shredded cheese.
- Set toaster oven to BROIL. Place toasts on roasting pan and broil for 1 to 2 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Drizzle toasts with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm with lemon wedges.
If you only have plain hummus on hand try sprinkling it with a pinch of garlic salt before adding the other toppings.
Try adding a chopped roasted red pepper for a sweet and colorful addition.
This toast is a rather light lunch on its own. If you're craving a bigger meal make your toast a sandwich by adding another slice of hummus covered toasted bread.
Nutritional information is an estimate for 1 of 2 asparagus and hummus toasts.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 Toast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 283Total Fat: 14.1gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 14.4mgSodium: 359.5mgCarbohydrates: 27.7gFiber: 7.5gSugar: 5.5gProtein: 14.2g
I have everything to make this for lunch tomorrow. Looks excellent!
Oh I hope you enjoy it MJ! Thanks for stopping by 🙂
Made a fabulous lunch! We’ll be making this again! Thank you so much for such a great recipe!
So glad the recipe came to together well and you enjoyed it, MJ! It’s one my favorite lunches, especially when we have roasted garlic in the house 🙂
P.S. I’m quite smitten with your blog, already sent the link for your Chilaquiles to the hubby to make this weekend. We’ve got leftover enchilada sauce in the fridge, I just need to get the chips!
Looks like a perfect lunch or snack! I love walnuts so those make this extra special!
Thank you Kate! I’m just starting to enjoy the buttery-specialness of walnuts, man have I been missing out 🙂
This looks delicious! I’m going to have to try asparagus on toast soon!
🙂 thanks Mary Ellen, I think it would go perfectly on your yummy looking avo toast!
It must be delicious. I can’t wait for the asparagus to be in season. I will try it like this, with houmous. 🙂
Thanks Anca I hope you enjoy the toast and that your asparagus season gets an early start like our did 🙂
This looks so goooooood! I never would have thought to eat asparagus on toast, great idea. And those walnuts, I can totally imagine how this tastes.
Thanks Adina, there are few things we won’t eat asparagus on, in or with 🙂 My all time favorite is avocado toast, asparagus, a fried egg and of course sriracha! Usually I’m too lazy to get out the frying pan though 🙂