Dark Chocolate Cherry Banana Oat Cookies, simple fruit-based cookies made with oats, flax meal, fresh cherries and chopped dark chocolate.
Got an overripe banana? Here’s a yummy sweet cherry and dark chocolate filled way to put that guy to use!
These Dark Chocolate Cherry Banana Oat Cookies are a deliciously decadent breakfast, snack or dessert. Hard to believe but they’re actually made with simple wholesome ingredients.
Ingredients like ripe mashed banana, flax meal, quick oats, a splash of almond extract, fresh cherries and chopped chocolate.
But cherries are really at their best when paired with rich chopped dark chocolate! To keep these fruit-based cookies vegan-friendly use your favorite dairy-free dark chocolate.
What’s that…cherry pitting got you down? Yeah, me too but this recipe requires pitting just 10 sweet cherries and it is well worth your time. Not sure how to pit a cherry? Check out this video’s 3 simple techniques.
For a handful of cherries I usually just slice them and dig the pits out with my fingers.
With no-added sugar and lots of fiber you can actually feel good eating these cookies for breakfast. Heck, feed your inner cookie monster and enjoy the whole batch for less than 400 calories!
Just like our Persimmon Banana Breakfast Cookies, Blackberry Peach Oat Cookies, Strawberry Clementine Cookies these fruit-based cookies are best consumed the same day they are baked. But you can keep them stored in the fridge for at least a day. We’ve had success freezing the extras too.
I’m sure with the sweet smell of mashed banana and hearty oats cooking in your toaster oven that finding someone to help you eat these scrumptious Dark Chocolate Cherry Banana Oat Cookies won’t be a problem 🙂
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 very ripe medium banana, mashed (about 1/2 cup mashed)
- 1/8 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon quick oats
- 1 tablespoon + 1/2 tablespoon chopped dark chocolate or dairy-free dark chocolate, (about .50 ounces)
- 1/3 cup sweet cherries, seeded and roughly chopped (about 10 whole cherries)
- In a small bowl (I use a coffee mug) combine the flax meal and water, mix well and place in the refrigerator for at least 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and lightly oil your cookie sheet or line it with a toaster oven silicone baking mat. (since these cookies have no oil or butter they are very sticky so don’t skip this step).
- In a medium sized bowl mash the banana until a few small lumps remain. Stir in flax egg, almond extract and oats until well combined. Fold in chopped chocolate and cherries.
- Use an ice cream scoop to drop the cookies onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 F for 13 to 15 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on sheet, once cooled use a spatula to remove them.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 Cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 66 Total Fat: 1.7g Saturated Fat: 0.5g Sodium: 0.8mg Carbohydrates: 11.7g Fiber: 1.9g Sugar: 3.8g Protein: 2g