Looking for a cookie you can make with kids? These Cinnamon Blueberry Banana Oat Cookies are the perfect treat for kids to help make and everyone to enjoy.
A kid friendly recipe needs to be egg free since it is inevitable uncooked dough will finds its way into a little one’s stomach. Enter the chia egg. A perfect cookie binder high in Omega 3 fatty acid and a great source of protein. Not to mention, very fun to play with once it’s been in the fridge for a bit.
No added sugar, just the natural ones found in fresh fruit. For good messy fun, have the little ones mash the banana using freshly washed hands. Drop some science on them with this article explaining why the berries turn from blue to purple (and sometimes even green) when cooked.
Now for something hearty to add substance and really chew on. Oats and coconut will keep their teeth busy.
High in fiber, protein, healthy fats and only 41 calories per cookie these Cinnamon Blueberry Banana Oat Cookies will please children and adults alike.
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 very ripe medium banana, mashed (about 1/2 cup mashed)
- 1/4 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries, washed and dried
- In a small bowl (I use a coffee mug) combine the chia seeds and warm water, mix well and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- About 5 minutes before the chia egg is ready, preheat the oven to 350 F and lightly oil your cookie sheet or line it with a toaster oven baking mat. (since these cookies have no oil or butter they are very sticky so don’t skip this step).
- In a medium sized bowl mash the banana, mix in coconut, oats and cinnamon.
- Stir in the chia egg and blueberries until well combined.
- Drop the cookies by round 1 to 1 & 1/2 tablespoons onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 F for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on sheet, once cooled use a spatula to remove them.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 41 Total Fat: 1g Saturated Fat: 0.4g Sodium: 0.7mg Carbohydrates: 7.3g Fiber: 1.3g Sugar: 1.5g Protein: 1.3g