Baked pita chips are crisp, flavorful, and very budget-friendly. Ready in just 15 minutes, you won’t believe how easy they are to make at home!
Do you like your pita chips thin and crunchy? Or thicker with soft and chewy insides? Either way, we’ve got you covered!
Below we’ll walk you through how to make a batch of toasted pita chips (the way you like them) using an oven, toaster oven, or air fryer.
Golden brown and delicious, the chips are perfect for a quick snack – we love to use them to scoop up hummus and tzatziki sauce. Bonus: they make a fun crouton alternative for salads too.
- Whole Wheat Pita Bread: For the crunchiest chips grab thin or pocket-style bread. Softer chips can be made using any type of pita or flatbread.
- Oil: Olive oil is classic but avocado oil or grapeseed oil are also good options.
- Salt and Pepper: The coarse texture of kosher salt is great for chips. But sea salt and table salt work too.
How to Make Crispy Baked Pita Chips
1. Adjust the cooking rack to the middle position and preheat to 375°F (or 350°F Convection). If using a toaster oven, select the BAKE setting.
2. Separate the pita bread into two thin rounds. I find it’s easiest to do this with kitchen shears or a knife. First I cut the pita in half and gently open up each pocket. Then I use the scissors to cut along the outside edge of the pita.
3. Next, brush or spray both sides of the pita with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stack two of the halves and cut into 4 wedges. Repeat with the remaining halves. You should have 16 wedges in total.
4. Arrange the wedges in a single layer on an ungreased pan. You don’t want them stacked on top of each but it’s okay if they’re touching since the pieces will shrink some as they bake.
5. Bake until the chips are golden brown and crisp, about 8 to 10 minutes. For even browning, halfway through the cooking time rotate the pan and flip the chips.
6. Once ready, remove the chips from the oven and let them cool on the pan for at least a few minutes (they will crisp up more as they cool). Then grab your favorite dip and dig in!
Thick Crunchy Chips: Don’t separate the pita halves before slicing and bake until crunchy about 11 to 12 minutes.
Soft Pita Chips: Use thicker Greek-style pitas (like the ones we use to make zucchini and hummus pita sandwiches) or don’t split the pita pockets. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and bake the chips until they are barely browned, about 7 to 9 minutes depending on the size of the chips.
Chip Shape: You don’t have to stick with wedges. The pita bread can be cut into strips, squares, or torn into pieces. Just make sure the pieces are similar in size, that way they’ll all bake at the same rate.
Leftovers: Soft pita chips are best eaten the day they are made. After that, they get stale fast. The crispy chips hold up much better and can be stored at room temperature in a sealed container for 3 to 4 days.
Air Fryer Pita Chips
Toasted pita chips are easy to make in an air fryer, you just need to adjust the temperature and cooking time.
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 325°F or 330°F.
- Add the seasoned wedges to the air fryer basket. It’s okay if they’re touching/stacked on top of each other a little.
- Cook the chips for 3 minutes, toss with tongs, then keep cooking the chips checking on them every 1 to 2 minutes until desired crispness.
The total cooking time will vary depending on the type of pita used and the chip texture you’re going for. Softer chips take about 4 to 5 minutes in total. Deeply toasted and crunchy chips, about 6 to 8 minutes.
Seasonings and Flavor Combos
One of my favorite things about making pita chips at home is that they can be flavored any way you want, savory or sweet. Below are a few ideas to get you started.
- Garlic powder
- Curry powder
- Italian Seasoning
- Everything Bagel seasoning
- Ranch seasoning
Dry seasonings aren’t your only option, you can use sauces too. Soy sauce and sesame oil make for a super savory chip. Or add a little heat by whisking some of your favorite hot sauce (like sriracha) or buffalo sauce with the oil.
In the sweets department, cinnamon sugar pita chips are always a hit. To change things up, swap the sugar for maple syrup. The baked chips have a fun maple cereal flavor that’s hard to resist!
More Easy Snacks and Appetizers
- Addictive Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds
- Rosemary Cashews
- Toaster Oven Cinnamon Chips
- Polenta Bites (Bake or Air Fry)
- Healthy Snack Ideas For Adults
- Small Batch Chex Mix
- 30 Toaster Oven Appetizers For Your Next Party
- 1 Whole Wheat Pita Bread (Pocket-Style)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Olive Oil or Olive Oil Spray
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Adjust the cooking rack to the middle position and preheat to 375°F (or 350°F Convection). If using a toaster oven, select the BAKE setting.
- Cut the pita in half using kitchen shears or a knife and gently open up the pockets. Cut along the edge of the pita to separate it into thin layers.
- Brush or spray both sides of the pita with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stack two of the halves and cut into 4 wedges. Repeat with the remaining halves. You should have 16 wedges in total.
- Arrange the wedges in a single layer on an ungreased pan. It’s okay if they’re touching a little.
- Bake until the chips are golden brown and crisp, about 8 to 10 minutes. Halfway through the cooking time, rotate the pan and flip the chips.
- Remove from the oven and cool on the pan for at least a few minutes (the chips will crisp up more as they cool).
Thick Crunchy Chips: Don’t separate the pita halves. Season and slice into 8 wedges, bake until crunchy about 11 to 12 minutes.
Softer Pita Chips: Use thicker no-pocket pitas/flatbread or don’t split the pita pockets. Bake at 350°F until the chips are just starting to brown, about 7 to 9 minutes.
Air Fryer Pita Chips: Preheat the Air Fryer to 325°F or 330°F. Add wedges to the air fryer basket and cook for 3 minutes. Toss chips, then keep cooking checking on them often until desired crispness. Soft Chips about 4 to 5 minutes total. Crunchy Chips about 6 to 8 minutes.
Leftovers: Soft pita chips are best eaten the day they are made. Crispy chips can be stored in a sealed container at room temperature for 3 to 4 days.
Seasoning Ideas: Za’atar, Chipotle Powder, Garlic Powder, Ranch Seasoning, Everything Bagel Seasoning, Italian Seasoning
Cinnamon Sugar: Combine 1¼ teaspoons granulated sugar with ¼ teaspoon cinnamon. Brush the pita with oil and sprinkle both sides with cinnamon sugar.
Maple Cinnamon: Mix together 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil, ½ teaspoon maple syrup, and ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon cinnamon. Brush on pitas before baking.
Sesame Soy: Combine ½ teaspoon sesame oil, ½ teaspoon soy sauce, and a pinch of ground ginger. Brush onto pita halves and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Coconut Curry: Brush pita with a mixture of 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil and ¼ teaspoon curry powder. Sprinkle with unsweetened shredded coconut.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 8 Chips
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 127Total Fat: 3.7gSaturated Fat: 0.7gSodium: 307mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 3.3gSugar: 0gProtein: 4.7g