Add a little green to your snack table with these Veggie Pita Pizza Bites! Whole wheat mini pitas, ricotta, and sun-dried tomatoes topped with lots of fresh veggies. Serve drizzled with balsamic vinegar and watch them disappear.
Veggie Pita Pizza Bites
Loaded with flavor and good for you veggies, these healthy veggie pita pizza bites are party perfection. Served as an entrée they also make a fun lunch or dinner for two.
While we enjoy the crisp bell peppers, and sauteed mushrooms and spinach feel free to adjust the vegetables to fit your personal preferences.
- 4 whole wheat mini pitas
- 3 teaspoons + 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 ounces thinly sliced baby Bella mushrooms, (or your favorite type of mushroom)
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced mini bell peppers, (about 5 or 6 whole mini peppers depending on size)
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400 F. Place mini pitas on cookie sheet and drizzle with just 1/2 teaspoon of the olive oil. Use your hands to rub oil over both sides of pitas. Bake pitas for 5 to 7 minutes until crispy and lightly golden. Remove pitas once cooked but leave oven on.
- While the pitas are baking place 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and give the pan a good stir to coat the mushrooms with oil, allow them to sit undisturbed for 2 minutes. After the 2 minutes continue cooking the mushrooms stirring occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes until golden brown. Add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil and shallots. Lightly salt and pepper, cook for 2 minutes stirring occasionally. Lastly, add the spinach, lightly salt and pepper and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently until the spinach has wilted down. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl combine the ricotta and sun-dried tomatoes, lightly salt and pepper.
- Spread each pita with 1/4 of the ricotta mixture, top with 1/4 of the spinach/mushrooms and arrange mini bell pepper slices in an even layer across the top. Sprinkle each pita with 1 tablespoon mozzarella cheese.
- Return pizzas to the 400 F oven and bake for 3-4 minutes until cheese is melted and ingredients are warmed. Broil for 1-2 minutes to brown cheese if desired.
- Slice each pita into 4 triangles, sprinkle with sliced basil, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve to your hungry party guests.
Recipe and technique for sautéed mushrooms and spinach portion adapted from Martha Stewart’s Sauteed Spinach and Mushrooms Recipe.
Recipe makes 16 bites, Nutritional Information is an estimate for 3 Veggie Pita Pizza Bites.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 3 Bites
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 151Total Fat: 5.8gSaturated Fat: 2.2gCholesterol: 10.1mgSodium: 188mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 3.2gSugar: 2.5gProtein: 6.5g
More Toaster Oven Appetizers
If you’re cooking for a crowd, check out these 25 Toaster Oven Appetizers For Your Next Party. From these plant-based Addictive Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds to Rosemary Cashews and even low carb Toaster Oven Parmesan Crisps there’s something for everyone.
Tim and I are passionate about helping others learn to cook, eat and enjoy a variety of vegetables because of Our Life Changing Vegucation. A few years back, we contributed recipes to a vegetable-focused ebook.
To celebrate the launch of the ebook the contributors held a virtual launch party. We contributed this pizza bites recipe.
Below you’ll find links to the other tasty appetizer and drink recipes shared. They’re healthy, delicious, and perfect for any fall party.
Pumpkin Apple Wontons – Cooking Up Clean
Pumpkin Kale Smoothie – Fitful Focus
Butternut Squash and Saurkraut Pizza with Fizzy Pumpkin Punch – Parsley and Pumpkins
Simple Spaghetti Squash Cakes – Pumpkins and Peanutbutter
Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms – Real Simple Good
Sweet Potato Casserole Muffins – The Weekly Menu
Lemongrass Ginger Barley Tea – Vermilion Roots
Roasted Beetroot with Crisp Chickpeas – Where is my Spoon?
Sparkling Pear Ginger Cocktail – Will Cook For Friends