Quesadillas are the best kind of comfort food, but if you’re sick of settling for soggy microwaved quesadillas, then you’re in the right place. With the help of your little toaster oven, you can enjoy a crispy flaky flour tortilla that’s oozing with melty gooey cheese. Stuff your toaster oven quesadilla with all kinds of goodies like roasted veggies and black beans to create a filling meal for two. It’s so easy!
While a simple 2-ingredient (cheese and tortilla) treat is always nice, the star of these quesadillas is the roasted delicata squash. The seasoned squash slices give the quesadilla a nice sweet and smoky flavor.
Add a handful of hearty black beans, sweet canned corn, some diced jalapeno, sprinkle of crisp green onions, shredded cheese and you’ve got yourself a seriously tasty and filling meal!
~ Keep scrolling for toaster oven quesadilla tips after the recipe ~
For the squash slices:
- 1 delicata squash, seeded and sliced into ½-inch rings
- 1 teaspoon and ½ teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and black pepper
For the quesadillas:
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans
- 1/4 cup cooked corn kernels
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons diced jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed
- 2/3 cup shredded cheese, (add more if you want it cheesier)
- 2 8-inch flour tortillas
- Oil for brushing
Cook the squash:
- Adjust your toaster oven’s cooking rack to the bottom placement and preheat to 425 F. Oil a metal pizza pan or roasting pan with 1/2 teaspoon of the oil.
- Place squash slices in a large bowl and mix with cumin, oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper and remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Arrange slices in an even layer on the prepared pan.
- Cook until softened and browned, about 15 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking.
- Remove squash but leave the toaster oven turned on at 425F.
Make the quesadillas:
- Roughly chop the cooked squash into pieces and add it to a large bowl along with the beans, corn, green onion, and jalapeño.
- Lightly brush one side of each tortilla with oil and place them oiled side down on your pizza or roasting pan. Arrange half of the filling on one side of each tortilla, sprinkle each half with the cheese and fold tortillas over the filling, pressing gently.
- Cook for 5 to 7 minutes in the toaster oven until the tortilla is crisped and the cheese is melted. Slice and serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 quesadilla
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 409 Total Fat: 12.5g Saturated Fat: 2.7g Cholesterol: 8mg Sodium: 224mg Carbohydrates: 55.2g Fiber: 11.8g Sugar: 4.5g Protein: 16.9g
how to make a quesadilla in a toaster oven
Step #1 – Prep Your Toaster Oven
Adjust the cooking rack in your toaster oven to the middle or bottom placement and preheat to 425°F.
Now, if you’re making a simple cheese-only quesadilla skip ahead to step 3.
Step #2 – Make The Filling
Roughly chop any roasted vegetables your using and add them to a bowl along with whatever else you want to include.
Quesadilla Mix-in Ideas:
- Black or pinto beans
- Canned corn kernels
- Sliced green onion
- Diced jalapeño
- Chopped bell peppers
- Baby spinach
- Black olives
- Chopped tomatoes
Step #3 – Fill Your Quesadillas
Lightly brush one side of each tortilla with oil and place them oiled side down on a cutting board. Arrange half of the filling on one side of each tortilla, then sprinkle each half with the cheese and fold tortillas over the filling, pressing gently.
Step #4 – Cook & Serve
Small Toaster Ovens: If you’re cooking with a little toaster oven like our Oster, you’ll need to cook the quesadillas one at a time. Since our roasting pan is so tiny, we like to place the quesadilla directly on the toaster oven’s cooking rack.
Large Toaster Ovens: If you’re cooking with a bigger toaster oven like our Breville Smart Oven Pro a pizza pan works great. Fill and fold your quesadillas, then place them back to back on the pan.
Cook for 5 to 7 minutes in the toaster oven until the tortilla is crisped and the cheese is melted.
Let the quesadillas cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving warm with sour cream, plain Greek yogurt, salsa or guacamole.