Delicata Squash’s tiny size makes it perfect for cooking in your little toaster oven. Also known as sweet potato squash, they have a thin skin that’s edible (no peeling!), are easy to slice and cook up quickly. If you’ve never made delicata squash before we’ve got step-by-step directions so you can “get your squash on” tonight.
How to Roasted Delicata Squash In Your Toaster Oven
Start with adjusting your toaster oven’s cooking rack to the lowest position and preheating to 425°F on the “Bake” setting.
You can line your baking sheet with a small silicone baking mat for easy cleanup or just lightly oil the pan to help prevent the squash from sticking.
We opt to save our baking mats for toaster oven cookies and always go with an oiled pan instead. It’s a bit messier but you’ll get more caramelization (brown crispy bits = nuttier flavor) on your roasted squash.
But I’m not coming over to wash your dishes, so do what works best for you.
Next, give your squash a good scrub and rinse in the sink. Dry it really well, water makes squashes slippery and trying to slice a slippery squash is a terrifyingly bad idea.
Now that you’ve scrubbed and dried your squash you’ll need to slice it and scoop out the seeds/guts. Depending on the size of your toaster oven, you may have a few options.
Boats vs. Slices?
If you have a smaller toaster oven, like our little Oster, it’s easiest to make two “boats” with your squash.
To make the boats slice the squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a spoon.
With a larger toaster oven, like our Breville Smart Oven Pro (BOV845BSS), you’ll have enough room to spread out slices of the delicata squash if you want. The slices make a nice addition to any veggie platter and taste great in a cheesy quesadilla.
To make the slices cut the squash in half widthwise, scoop out the seeds with a spoon and slice into ½-inch pieces.
Once you have sliced and seeded your squash, place it on the prepared pan or in a bowl (for the slices) and drizzle with oil. Use your fingers to rub the oil across all of the exposed flesh, then season with salt and pepper.
If you’re cooking the boats place them with the flesh facing the pan and skin facing outward. The slices just need to be in an even layer, otherwise, they’ll steam (instead of roast) if they’re overlapping.
Roast the delicata squash for 15 to 20 minutes for the slices and 20 to 25 minutes for the boats.
If you’re cooking the slices, halfway into the cook time, flip them with a fork or tongs. You’ll want to be a little careful here, the squash is delicate during cooking.
Are they ready yet?
- The halves or “boats” will be ready when a fork easily slides into the back of the squash.
- The slices will be ready when they are lightly browned and tender.
Once you’ve tried delicata squash, you’ll want to cook All-The-Squashes in your toaster oven. Acorn squash is super easy, spaghetti squash is a bit trickier but so worth it once you dig into your first cheesy pizza spaghetti squash boat.
- 1 delicata squash,, scrubbed clean and towel dried
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Adjust your toaster oven’s cooking rack to the bottom placement and preheat to 425F on the Bake setting. Lightly oil a roasting pan or line with a silicone baking mat.
- To make boats: Slice squash in half lengthwise and scrape out seeds.
- To make slices: Cut the squash in half widthwise, scoop out seeds and slice into ½-inch pieces.
- Place squash on the prepared pan and drizzle with oil. Use your hands to rub the oil onto all exposed flesh and sprinkle with salt and pepper. If cooking full halves place them interior side down on the pan.
- Roast squash at 425 F until fork tender and caramelized, about 15 minutes for the slices and 20 to 25 mins for the boats.
- For the slices, after about 10 minutes of cook time, carefully flip them with a fork to ensure browning on both sides.
- The “boats” will be ready when a fork easily slides into the back of the squash.
Nutritional Information is an estimate for a serving of 4.5 ounces of cooked squash.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: Half of recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 91Total Fat: 0.8gSaturated Fat: 0.1gSodium: 6.5mgCarbohydrates: 22.5gFiber: 3.2gProtein: 1.7g