Mini Blackberry Banana Breads. Indulge your craving for sweet and moist banana bread with this small batch recipe. Baked in ramekins for two delicious servings and no tempting leftovers.
Well we’ve been on quite the sweets kick this month with Peppermint Shortbread Cookies and then Chocolate Dipped Lemon Macaroons. I promise there are savory recipes headed your way but first you must try these mini banana breads.
That’s right I said breads.
This simple recipe (baked in ramekins) makes two adorable moist and tasty mini whole grain banana breads. The perfect warm treat for sharing on a lazy weekend morning.
Or you can freeze the second one to be on stand-by for a late night snack attack. The sweet-tart blackberry banana combo tastes great warmed and spread with peanut butter, Mmmmm peanut butter 🙂
This recipe is really a jumping off point; you can switch out the blackberries for blueberries or go classic style with chopped nuts.
You can bake it in a mini loaf pan like our Petite Whole Grain Banana Bread if you prefer your bread in slices or want to gift it to a neighbor. A small handful of chocolate chips would elevate the bread to a desserty level anyone would be pleased to receive.
I actually had two very specific reason for choosing this flavor combo:
- Berries + Bananas = Crazy Delicious
- My nephew, who is my favorite person loves blackberries and bananas and he has a special day coming up.
And special days call for cake!
With a few extra blackberries and a small batch of frosting you can easily transform these mini blackberry banana breads into a tiny layer cake fit for a celebration.
To make the cake start by slicing each cooled banana bread in half width-wise. Place a bottom slice on a small plate and spread with a layer of your favorite frosting (like the honey ricotta frosting from our Lemon Coconut Donuts) top with a couple of berries or a few chocolate chips and cover with another banana bread half. Repeat layers.
Finish by covering the whole mini cake with the remaining frosting and then get ready to party 🙂
Whether you have a reason to celebrate (Happy Birthday Monkey!) or just want to indulge your sweet tooth these versatile mini banana breads are prefect for any occasion.
- 1 small very ripe banana mashed (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 large egg (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt (at room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil (sub melted butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (substitute brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh blackberries (about 5-6 large whole berries)
Preheat your toaster oven or oven to 350 F and grease two 7 ounce ramekins.
- In a small bowl whisk together the mashed banana, egg, yogurt, coconut oil, vanilla and sugar. Whisk everything well until the oil has fully incorporated.
- In another small bowl stir together the flour, soda, cinnamon and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the banana mixture. Stir until just combined and small lumps remain.
- Carefully fold in the chopped blackberries (if you are too aggressive the berries will burst and turn the batter a purple grey color).
- Distribute batter evenly into the prepared ramekins and smooth the tops. Bake at 350 F for 28 to 33 minutes (rotating ramekins halfway through) until a toothpick inserted in the center is free of crumbs.
- Allow breads to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from ramekins to cool completely on a baking rack or serve warm with a small pat of butter.
You can also bake the bread in a single mini loaf pan (5 1/2 x 3 inch). Bake mini loaf at 350 F for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center is crumb-free.
Nutritional Information is an estimate for 1 of 2 breads.
Adapted from America’s Test Kitchen Cooking for Two Banana Bread recipe.