Crispy and delicious, these baked tortilla strips are perfect for topping soups, salads, and burrito bowls. Ready in just 15 minutes with 3 simple ingredients!
- Corn Tortillas
- Oil or Oil Spray: We love to use garlic flavored avocado oil or olive oil but most neutral oils will work. You will taste the oil, so make sure it’s something you like.
- Salt: Sea salt and table salt are good options but if you’re a fan of salty tortilla chips, kosher salt tastes the best.
How to Make Baked Tortilla Strips
1. Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 400°F. If using a toaster oven, adjust the rack to the bottom position and select the BAKE setting.
2. Brush or spray both sides of the tortillas with oil and sprinkle with salt.
3. Cut the oiled tortillas in half crosswise and then slice each half into ¼ inch thick strips.
4. Place the strips on an ungreased rimmed baking sheet and spread into an even layer.
Bake, stirring occasionally or tossing with tongs until the strips are crisped and golden brown, about 8 to 11 minutes.
5. Season lightly again with salt and let cool on the pan.
Go for the gold. Once the strips are a light golden color remove them from the oven. Similar to making corn tortilla chips, if they get too dark the strips will be hard and flavorless.
If your oven runs hot or you’re cooking with a convection toaster oven, reduce the temperature to 375°F and check on the strips early. Ours took about 9 minutes and were super crispy.
For seasoned strips (that taste like Doritos!), sprinkle the oiled tortillas with 1 to 2 teaspoons of taco seasoning before slicing and baking.
Store leftovers in a sealed container for up to 5 days. If they become chewy, pop them in a 300°F toaster oven for a few minutes to crisp up again.
More Toaster Oven How-Tos
- Toaster Oven Baked Croutons
- How to Toast Nuts in a Toaster Oven
- Toaster Oven Bagel Chips
- Toaster Oven Roasted Red Peppers
- How to Make Garlic Bread in the Toaster Oven
- Toaster Oven Crostini
- 2 6-inch Corn Tortillas
- Oil or Oil Spray
- Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 400°F. If using a toaster oven, adjust the rack to the bottom position and select the BAKE setting.
- Brush or spray both sides of the tortillas with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Cut the oiled tortillas in half crosswise and then slice each half into ¼ inch thick strips. Place the strips on an ungreased rimmed sheet pan and spread into an even layer.
- Bake, stirring, or tossing with tongs after 6 minutes until the strips are crisped and light golden brown, about 8 to 11 minutes total.
- Season the strips again lightly with salt (if desired) and let cool on the pan. The strips will crisp up more as they cool.
Convection Adjustments: Lower the temperature to 375°F and begin checking on the chips after 5 or 6 minutes, adding more time as needed. Ours took about 9 minutes total.
Instead of brushing the tortillas with oil, you can toss the cut strips with 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon oil before baking.
For seasoned chips, sprinkle oiled tortillas with taco seasoning or chili powder before slicing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 Tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 36Total Fat: 1.5gSaturated Fat: 0.2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 25mgCarbohydrates: 5.4gFiber: 0.8gSugar: 0.1gProtein: 0.7g