Toaster Oven Roasted Delicata Squash. Easily to follow step-by-step directions for roasting a sweet and healthy Delicata squash in your toaster oven. A perfect side for your next holiday gathering!
Squash Quiz: What squash is easy to slice, cooks quickly and has an edible thin skin that actually tastes great? That’s right, a delicata squash. Oh, you already know this…well let’s get to cooking up some Toaster Oven Roasted Delicata Squash then.
How To: Toaster Oven Roasted Delicata Squash (Step by Step):
Preheat your toaster oven to 425 F. Line a cookie sheet with a toaster oven silpat for easy cleanup or go silpat-free to get more caramelization (brown crispy bits = nuttier flavor) on the squash with a bit more mess. (You will see parchment paper pictured below – check your parchment paper box to see if it is safe to use in your toaster oven. If it is not, lightly grease your cookie sheet or use a toaster oven silpat instead).
After you have scrubbed and dried your squash you will need to slice it and scoop out the seeds/guts.
You have a few options here, like slicing it in half lengthwise, scooping out the seeds and cutting the squash into 1/2 inch half-moon style slices. Or you can roast the halves whole for stuffing with some Quick Kale Apple Salad.
There’s also the more-for-presentation option of slicing it into 1/2 inch circles while it’s still whole and then cutting away the insides.
Since I knew our delicata squash was headed for a salad, drizzled with Sriracha Vinaigrette, I opted for a combo of half-moon and whole circle slices. This way we would enjoy a nice presentation and each slice would have a tasty bit of caramelization.
Once you have seeded your squash, place it on the prepared pan and drizzle with oil. Use your fingers to rub the oil across all of the exposed flesh on each side. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. If you’re cooking full halves place them interior side down on the cookie sheet after oiling.
Roast the delicata squash at 425 F for 25 to 30 minutes. Halfway through the cook time for the 1/2 inch slices flip them with a fork, use care as the squash gets pretty delicate during cooking. The whole sides are ready when a fork easily slides into the back of the squash. The slices are ready when they are lightly browned and tender.
There’s no bad way to enjoy your roasted Delicata squash, it’s great in a salad, stuffed with macaroni & cheese or just piping hot fresh from the oven.
- 1 delicata squash , scrubbed clean and towel dried
- 1/4 teaspoon olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Preheat toaster oven to 425 F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet or roasting pan or use a toaster oven silpat for easy clean. Go silpat-free for a messier but more caramelized squash.
- Slice delicata squash in half lengthwise and scrape out seeds. Slice into 1/2 inch pieces, or leave unsliced and roast sides whole. Lightly drizzle with olive oil, rub oil onto all exposed flesh and sprinkle with salt and pepper. If cooking full halves place them interior side down on the cookie sheet after oiling and seasoning.
- Roast delicata squash at 425 F for 25 to 30 mins. Halfway through the cook time for the 1/2 inch slices carefully flip them with a fork to ensure browning on both sides.
- The whole uncut sides will be ready when a fork easily slides into the back of the squash. The slices will be lightly browned, with tender flesh and a slightly crispy skin. Serve squash warm, cold or added to your favorite salad.
Nutritional Information is an estimate for a serving of 4.5 ounces of cooked squash.