Mini Zucchini Pizzas
These mini zucchini pizzas are cheesy, fun, and delicious. Great for snacking, you can make them in the toaster oven in less than 15 minutes!
Next time you’re craving a quick snack, try these mini zucchini pizzas. They take just a few minutes to throw together and taste like little veggie pizzas.
Broiling the zucchini (instead of baking it) results in golden crisp-tender slices that are firm enough to load up with all of your favorite pizza toppings.
We like to use our toaster oven for broiling. It doesn’t heat up the whole house and keeps me from having to get on the floor to access our traditional oven’s broiler. But you can make these pizza bites in your big oven too!
1. Start by slicing a small zucchini into ½-inch thick rounds. You can slice them thinner if you want but I’ve found this thickness makes for a sturdy pizza base and helps to keep the zucchini from overcooking.
2. Next, toss the slices with oil, salt, black pepper, and some Italian Seasoning or dried oregano.
3. Arrange the slices in a single layer on your toaster oven’s sheet pan. Broil on high just until the zucchini is starting to soften and has a few brown spots, about 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Flip the slices over with a fork and top each one with 1/4 teaspoon of pizza sauce. I like to use the back of the teaspoon to spread the sauce around the zucchini.
5. Pile about a teaspoon of cheese onto each slice. Use more or less cheese depending on your preference.
Then add any extra pizza toppings if you want. Things like olive slices, veggie pepperoni, or chopped bell pepper.
6. Return the pan to the toaster oven and broil until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and browned, about 2 minutes more.
7. Carefully remove the hot pan and let the mini pizzas cool for a few minutes. Then top with fresh basil, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes or grated parmesan cheese, and dig in!
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is my zucchini soggy?
It was probably broiled for too long. To keep the pizzas from getting soggy you want to cook the zucchini just until it is crisp-tender (meaning it still has some firmness to it) before adding the toppings.
I don’t have pizza sauce, what else can I use?
For pizzas with a little southwestern flair use a tomatillo salsa or salsa verde. It tastes yummy with corn, jack cheese, and a sprinkle of dried oregano. Buffalo sauce and pesto make great pizza-sauce alternatives too!
More Tasty Zucchini Recipes
- Zucchini and Hummus Pita Sandwiches
- Zesty Zucchini Pasta Salad
- Cornbread Zucchini Muffins
- Zucchini and Lemon Ricotta Flatbread
- Quinoa and Zucchini Noodles Salad
- Toaster Oven Zucchini Recipes
Mini Zucchini Pizzas
These mini veggie pizzas taste great with a variety of different toppings. From salsa and corn to marinara sauce, use whatever you like!
- 1 small zucchini (about 5 to 6 inches long)
- 1/2 teaspoon Grapeseed Oil or Avocado Oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian Seasoning, optional
- 1 tablespoon Pizza Sauce
- 4 tablespoons Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, use more or less as desired
- Optional Garnishes: Dried Oregano, Red Pepper Flakes, Chopped Fresh Basil, Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Adjust your toaster oven’s cooking rack to the top position (see note re preheating).
- Slice the zucchini into ½-inch thick rounds.
- Add zucchini to a small bowl and toss with oil, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning if using.
- Arrange slices in a single layer on an ungreased roasting pan.
- Broil zucchini (on HIGH) until the zucchini is slightly tender with a few browned spots, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Using oven mitts, carefully remove the pan. Place on a heat-safe surface and flip the zucchini slices.
- Top each slice with pizza sauce, then sprinkle with cheese.
- Return the pan to the oven and broil until the zucchini is tender and the cheese is melted and bubbly about 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Allow pizza bites to cool for a few minutes before sprinkling with fresh basil and digging in!
Preheating: Check your toaster oven's manual for specific directions on using the broiler. Some ovens require preheating while others do not.
Troubleshooting: If you find your zucchini is cooking too fast, reduce the cooking time or try broiling with the low setting or adjust your oven's cooking rack to the middle or bottom placement.
To Make Salsa Pizza Bites: Substitute 1 tablespoon of salsa verde for the pizza sauce. Omit the Italian seasoning and top with canned corn kernels, dried oregano, and jack cheese.
Reheating: The bites taste best when fresh but leftovers can be refrigerated in a covered container for 1 to 2 days. To reheat them we usually place the bites on an ungreased baking sheet, add them to our toaster oven and set it to 400°F with convection or 425°F without, and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes. The oven doesn't have to be hot first, it will gently warm the bites as it heats up.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 12 Pizza Bites
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 131Total Fat: 7.9gSaturated Fat: 3.9gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 250mgCarbohydrates: 7.8gFiber: 1.8gSugar: 2.6gProtein: 8.7g