Think bagels are only cream cheese delivery devices? We’ve got 7 seriously delicious (mostly healthy) ways to change your mind about that!
Perfect for breakfast, a light lunch or as a snack these bagels are piled high with fresh and nutritious toppings (plus a little cream cheese). With so many yummy options you’ll never have to wonder what to put on a bagel again!
7 Delicious Ways to Top a Bagel
Wait, before you get to topping make sure to check out our quick guide for the best way to toast a bagel in your toaster oven. It’ll guarantee you’re starting with a bagel that’s perfectly toasted (i.e. crispy on top but soft and chewy in the middle) every time.
Now, let’s talk toppings!
Peanut Butter + Berries
How to make this berrylicious bagel: Toast half a cinnamon raisin bagel and slather with creamy or crunchy natural peanut butter. Top with fresh berries and a sprinkle of heart-healthy chia seeds.
How to make this spicy bagel:
- Toast half an onion bagel and spread with a layer of cream cheese (we used the Greek yogurt kind).
- Top with jalapeno slices and shredded cheese.
- Broil until the cheese is melted, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Peanut Butter + Sriracha
How to make this savory vegan bagel: Toast half a whole wheat bagel and spread with natural creamy or crunchy peanut butter. Top with chopped carrots, roasted edamame (wasabi flavor is the best!) and drizzle with your desired about of spicy Sriracha sauce.
If the flavors feel too heavy, squeeze a lime wedge over your bagel to brighten it up.
How to make this fresh and healthy bagel:
- Toast half an everything bagel and spread with your favorite flavor of hummus.
- Top with cucumber slices, grape tomatoes, and chopped cauliflower.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper or everything bagel seasoning and fresh parsley.
How to make this not-too-sweet bagel: Toast half a cinnamon raisin bagel and top with cream cheese and a few shakes of ground cinnamon. Layer on chopped carrots, pineapple tidbits, chopped pecans and toasted coconut.
How to make this sweet and tangy pizza bagel:
- Toast half an onion bagel and spread with your favorite BBQ sauce.
- Top with pineapple tidbits, feta cheese, shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese and half a chopped shallot.
- Broil until the cheese is melted and starting to brown, about 1 to 2 minutes, and top with fresh cilantro.
How to make this tropical summer bagel: Toast half a whole wheat bagel slice and top with dollops of low-fat cottage cheese. Layer with pineapple tidbits, toasted coconut, and freshly grated lime zest.
If you’re out of bagels or they just aren’t your thing, you can swap the bagel slice for a toasted:
- slice of bread,
- mini pita,
- small flatbread.
And if you’re trying to avoid bread and are just here window-shopping (no judgment, I do it all the time with my grocery store’s bakery case) ANY of these toppings would pair nicely with a baked sweet potato or half-batch of roasted sweet potato rounds!