This Mini Berry Skillet Cake is a simple mini cast iron skillet dessert recipe with less than 10 ingredients. Easy to customize with lots of topping options!
(this post contains affiliate links)
Filled with juicy berries and mini chocolate chips this Mini Berry Skillet Cake is a delicious and surprisingly easy romantic dessert for two. Perfect for Valentine’s Day or any time you’re craving a tiny dessert!
Start by quickly mixing together the cake batter in a small bowl. It’s such a tiny amount you could even mix it in a coffee mug.
Pour that whole grain batter into an oiled 3.5 inch mini cast iron skillet. Top with frozen berries and a tiny sprinkle of extra sugar.
Now just pop it in the toaster oven for about 20 minutes until the cake is golden and the fruit is bubbly.
While you let the cake cool for a few minutes (burned tongues = not romantic) select the toppings.
How To Top Your Mini Berry Skillet Cake?
You could go traditional with whipped cream and chopped nuts.
Keep things lighter with a dollop of rich Greek Yogurt.
Or go all out with a scoop of ice cream drizzled with chocolate. ← Yep, that’s always the best option 🙂
Now for the romantic part…grab two spoons, cozy up next to your Valentine and enjoy a delicious mini cake together.
Psst – if you don’t have a mini cast iron skillet you can still enjoy some berry baked goodness. Just dump the batter into an oiled 7 ounce ramekin and bake in your toaster oven!
Craving more mini skillet sweets? Check out our Blueberry Lemon Skillet Cookie for Two or this Raspberry Key Lime Skillet Cookie For Two.
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar , divided
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons milk (use non-dairy for vegan)
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil + more for oiling skillet (or sub another vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (use non-dairy for vegan)
- 1/4 cup frozen berries (do not thaw)
- Ice cream, melted chocolate chips, whipped cream, yogurt
- Preheat toaster oven to 350 F and lightly oil a 3.5 inch cast iron skillet.
- In a small bowl mix together the flour, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in the milk, vanilla and 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil until well combined and no oil is sitting on the top. Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared skillet. Top with frozen berries and sprinkle remaining brown sugar over fruit.
- Bake at 350 F for 17 to 22 minutes until the cake is lightly golden and the fruit is bubbly. Allow cake to cool 5 to 8 minutes and serve warm with your favorite toppings.
If you are looking for a really sweet treat or plan to skip the ice cream/yogurt you can add up to an additional tablespoon of sugar.
*Do not substitute coconut oil, it will solidify when the batter is topped with frozen fruit.
You can also make this cake in a 7 ounce ramekin, it will need to cook a bit longer, start with adding 2-3 additional minutes to the cook time.
Nutritional information is an estimate for a single Berry Skillet Cake without toppings.
For a quick “Magic Shell” chocolate sauce melt 1 tablespoon of Enjoy Life semi-sweet chocolate chips. As you drizzle the melted chocolate over your ice cream it immediately hardens creating a fun chocolate shell around your ice cream.
You can also easily make your own homemade Magic Shell by combining chocolate and coconut oil like Minimalist Baker does in their How to Make Magic Shell recipe.