Cookie cutter tortilla chips are so darn easy and a fun activity for kids and adults. All you need is a tortilla, oil, seasoning, and your little toaster oven!
If you’ve never baked homemade tortilla chips before, you’re missing out.
With flour tortillas, you can make chips that are light and flaky. Corn tortilla chips are crunchy, delicious, and perfect for throwing together a quick batch of Nachos for One.
Holiday Baked Tortilla Chips
To make your homemade chips more fun for the holidays use cookie cutters and cut your chips into festive shapes.
- Scare up some fun with spooky bat and ghost-shaped Halloween Chips.
- Use the seasoning from these Cinnamon Wontons to bake sweet cinnamon + sugar hearts for Valentine’s Day.
- Or create a pile of savory autumn leaves and acorns for your Thanksgiving entertaining.
Cookie Cutter Chip Tips
Little ones might need a bit of help with the cutters. I found ours required a lot of pressure to cut through the tortillas.
To make the cutting easier, warm the uncut tortilla in your microwave for 30 seconds or in your preheating toaster oven for about 1 minute. It’ll soften right up.
Oh and don’t forget to season and bake the scraps too. They taste delicious!
How to Make Tortilla Chips in Your Toaster Oven
- Lightly oil and season a tortilla.
- Cut out shapes using cookies cutters.
- Bake and enjoy!
(The baking time varies depending on the type of tortilla used, for detailed directions and tips check out the recipe cards below)
- 2 Corn Tortillas
- Olive Oil, (or any oil of your choice)
- Fine sea salt
- Adjust your toaster oven’s cooking rack to the middle position and preheat it to 350°F on the “Bake” setting. Lightly grease your baking pan or line it with a toaster oven baking mat.
- Brush or spray one side of the tortillas with oil and sprinkle with salt. Flip tortillas over and repeat. Stack tortillas on top of each other and slice into six triangles
- Arrange tortillas in an even layer on your prepared pan.
- Bake the chips for 8 minutes, then remove the pan, carefully flip the chips and rotate the pan before returning to the toaster oven. Continue baking until the chips have crisped, about 4 to 6 minutes more.
- Remove from the toaster oven and allow the chips to cool completely on the pan, they will crisp further as they cool.
If your toaster oven is smaller you may need to make your chips in two batches to keep them from overlapping.
See Troubleshooting Tips if your chips are chewy after cooling completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 6 Chips
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 62 Total Fat: 1.8g Saturated Fat: 0.3g Sodium: 10.8mg Carbohydrates: 10.7g Fiber: 1.5g Sugar: 0.2g Protein: 1.4g
- 1 flour tortilla, (see notes section for alternative tortillas)
- Your favorite seasoning blend
- Fine sea salt
- Remove your toaster oven’s cooking rack and preheat it to 350 degrees F on the “Bake” setting.
- Lightly brush or spray one side of the tortilla with oil and season. Flip the tortilla over and repeat. Slice tortilla into 8 or 6 triangles.
- Arrange tortilla triangles on the toaster oven cooking rack in a single (not overlapping*) layer.
- Carefully place the rack in the middle position of your toaster oven and bake until the chips are lightly browned around the edges and crisped, about 6 to 8 minutes (see note section for cook times).
- Carefully remove the hot cooking rack and allow chips to cool completely and crisp further before serving.
*If your toaster oven is smaller you may need to make your chips in two batches to keep them from overlapping.
Tortilla Baking Times:
- Plain and Flavored Flour tortillas - 6 to 8 minutes (convection 5 to 7 minutes)
- WW Flour tortillas 7 to 9 minutes (convection 6 to 8 minutes)
- Brown Rice tortillas - 6 to 8 minutes (convection 5 to 7 minutes)
- Enjoy Life Tortillas - 6 to 8 minutes (convection 5 to 7 minutes)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 Batch of Chips
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 150 Total Fat: 6.1g Saturated Fat: 0.2g Sodium: 384mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 1g Protein: 3g