Mini Maple Pecan Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches
Mini Maple Pecan Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches! A small batch dessert recipe for 3 perfectly portioned cookie + ice cream treats that are under 300 calories per serving!
This is a dessert, a full-fledged no nutritionally redeeming value just tastes delicious treat!
At our house we subscribe to the belief that allowing for a little something sweet in your daily diet makes it easier to choose healthy options the rest of the time. (Sometimes referred to as 80/20 – make good “whole foods” filled choices 80% of the time and give yourself a break to indulge a little with the other 20%)
Most days that treat is a regular ole cookie but occasionally it’s a creamy crunchy Mini Maple Pecan Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich.
A good ice cream cookie sandwich starts with the right cookie. We’ve got over 14 different toaster oven cookie recipes that would love to hug a scoop of ice cream, especially these soft Double Chocolate Cookies, giant Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies for Two or these vegan-friendly Whole Grain Soft Oatmeal Raisin Cookies for Two that you can make in your mini-chopper!
But as much as I love a soft and chewy cookie they offer no contrast to smooth creamy ice cream.
That’s why these maple pecan cookies are perfect for making ice cream cookie sandwiches with! They have a delightfully crispy shortbread texture that softens just slightly as the sandwiches setup in the freezer. This way you still get a little crumbly cookie crunch in every cooling bite.
With tiny bits of pecans and a great maple flavor they are pretty tasty on their own although not overly sweet. I figured we could go lighter on the sweetener since we will be sandwiching them with sugary ice cream after all 🙂
The first time I made them I decorated all of the cookies with whole pecan pieces. While they looked pretty, having a whole pecan at the base of your cookie sandwich is not a great idea.
We cracked each bottom cookie while assembling the sandwiches 🙁 Womp Womp ← Totally didn’t stop us from eating them though 🙂
So let’s all learn from my crushed cookie whoopsie and only decorate the tops.
I hope you enjoy every bite of these perfectly portioned summertime treats. Even with rich butter, sweet maple syrup and crunchy pecans these Mini Maple Pecan Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches still come in just under 300 calories per serving!
Maple Butter Pecan Cookies
These thin and crispy cookies have a great shortbread-style texture that melts in your mouth. They're perfect for pairing with vanilla ice cream or a warm cup of coffee for a fun afternoon treat.
- 2 tablespoons Salted Butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 teaspoons Real Maple Syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoons Finely Chopped Pecans (about .50 ounces or 14 grams whole pecans)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 6 whole pecans for topping, (optional)
- In a small mixing bowl cream together the butter, maple syrup, and vanilla until smooth and light, about 2 minutes.
- Mix in chopped pecans and flour until combined.
- Chill the soft dough until it is firm enough to be rolled, at least 20 minutes.
- Once the dough has chilled, preheat your oven to 325°F and adjust the cooking rack to the middle position. If using a toaster oven, select the BAKE setting.
- Line a quarter sheet pan with a silicone baking mat or lightly oil.
- Divide dough into six equal pieces, roll into balls and place at least 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.
- Using your fingers or the bottom of a floured glass gently press dough into circles about 2.5 inches wide and 1/8 inch thick. Press a whole pecan into the center of each cookie, if desired.
- Bake until the edges are golden brown, about 11 to 13 minutes. *The cookies may seem soft out of the oven but they will crisp up as they cool. Allow cookies to cool completely on the baking pan before devouring.
Cookies can be stored in a sealed container for up to 3 days (they may stay good longer but we’ve never had a batch make it past three days without being eaten up). They can also be frozen but do lose some of their crispness.
To make ice cream sandwiches:
- Omit pecans pressed into the tops of the cookies.
- Place a scoop of the softened ice cream on the flat side of a cookie then top with another cookie.
- Press gently to spread the ice cream evenly, if you press too firmly you will break the cookies.
- Wrap cookie sandwiches individually in plastic wrap and return to the freezer for a few hours until the ice cream has firmed up completely.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 79Total Fat: 5.6gSaturated Fat: 2.6gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 27mgCarbohydrates: 6.4gFiber: 0.9gSugar: 1.4gProtein: 0.9g