Summer Corn and Quinoa Veggie Salad
A fresh, nutritious and light summertime meal made with sweet baked corn, crisp veggies, quinoa and kidney beans.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 2 Large or 4 Small Salads
Calories 482 kcal
- 2 ears of fresh corn , in husks
- Juice of 2 large limes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (we used the tri-color type)
- 1 cup seeded and chopped red bell pepper , substitute yellow or orange peppers
- 1 cup grape tomatoes , sliced in half
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans (look for no-salt added if using canned)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cups chopped lettuce , red, curly or romaine (about a medium head of lettuce)
Preheat your toaster oven to 350 F. Wash and dry the outside of the corn husks.
Place corn directly on your toaster oven baking rack and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
While corn bakes, in a large bowl whisk together the lime juice, oil, vinegar, cumin and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Stir in the cooked quinoa, red pepper, tomatoes, onion, cilantro and kidney beans.
Once the corn is cooked allow it to cool for a few minutes, then remove the husks and silks. Cut the kernels off of the cobs and add them to the salad bowl stirring well to combine all of the ingredients.
Taste the salad and adjust the seasoning (add more lime juice, oil, vinegar, salt or pepper) if needed.
Just before serving stir in chopped lettuce or fill individual bowls with lettuce and top with quinoa salad.
You can substitute about 1½ cups canned corn or frozen cooked corn for the freshly baked corn kernels.
Nutritional information is an estimate for 1 of 2 large servings of salad.