I realized the other day I had yet to post any toast recipes. How can there not be a single toast recipe on a blog dedicated to Toaster Oven Recipes? Today, I correct that error.
Like most people, the first recipe I learned to cook in the kitchen was Cinnamon Toast. I used to crave sweet white bread slathered with butter, every inch sparkling with cinnamon and sugar. Today I crave more …a heartier bread, rich protein, complex flavors and a ridiculous amount of toppings. This recipe for Toaster Oven Spinach “Lasagna” Toast hits all those marks, ending with a healthy and filling lunch for two.
My favorite part of traditional lasagna are the layers of well-seasoned tomato sauce and ricotta. For this Spinach “Lasagna” Toast I incorporated the best ingredients of lasagna and ditched the noodles. Thus the quotes.
Don’t worry though, I kept the most important feature…multiple layers.
This is a cold toast, the only heat used is to toast the bread. Cold toast meals have been a staple around our house with California weather continuously flipping between crisp spring and over 90° days.
Biting into a hearty whole grain toast topped with layers of crunchy spinach, juicy grape tomatoes, and perfectly seasoned creamy ricotta is an ideal way to quickly and healthfully fill a hungry belly regardless of the temperature outside.
- 2 slices sprouted whole grain bread, (or your favorite whole grain bread)
- 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese, (about 3.8 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 3 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 11 grape tomatoes, quartered
- Toast bread slices in toaster oven. While bread is toasting, in a small bowl stir together ricotta, olive oil, Italian seasoning, pepper and salt.
- Place toast on individual plates. Spread 2 tablespoons of ricotta mixture onto one toast, repeat on the other toast. Evenly distribute half of the spinach, tomatoes and basil among toast (reserving half of each ingredient for the second layer). Divide remaining ricotta evenly among toast (carefully spread it over the previous layer). Top toasts with remaining spinach, tomatoes and basil. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with additional salt and pepper as desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 Toast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236 Total Fat: 5.5g Saturated Fat: 1.7g Cholesterol: 10.2mg Sodium: 620.6mg Carbohydrates: 30.5g Fiber: 5.3g Sugar: 9g Protein: 17g