Early last year I was first introduced to these two ingredient banana cookies and boy were Tim and I glad to meet them. Since then, we have made about twenty different versions of banana cookies, with a wide range of mix-ins.
Now, in the interest of honesty I will say they in no way qualify as a cookie in the traditional sense but “Hand-Held Banana Based Strawberry Clementine Cookie-Shaped Treats” does seem a bit wordy so I’m going to stick with calling them cookies.
Strawberries, banana, clementine and a bit of lime zest pack these cookies with an enormous amount of sweetness and flavor, all without the help of any added sugar.
You could make these as regular drop cookies and they would still be beautiful. Or you could bust out a cookie cutter or two and take a healthy treat up a few notches.
Filling the cookie cutter probably adds 2 minutes to the prep time but a wealth of cool to the presentation.
A few of these Strawberry Clementine Cookies alone or atop a bowl of yogurt and cinnamon are guaranteed to surprise your healthy Valentine.
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1/4 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup quick oats, (not instant)
- 1 very ripe medium banana, mashed (about 1/2 cup mashed)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped strawberries (about 3 large strawberries)
- 1 small clementine finely chopped (about 1/4 cup chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon lime zest
- In a small bowl (I use a coffee mug) combine the chia seeds and warm water, mix well and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- While your chia egg gels chop the strawberries and clementine, then zest the lime.
- Preheat the toaster oven to 350°F and lightly oil your cookie sheet or line it with a silicone baking mat. (since these cookies have no oil or butter they are very sticky so don’t skip this step).
- In a medium sized bowl mash the banana, mix in the coconut and oats until well combined.
- Stir in the chia egg, strawberries, clementine and lime zest.
- Place the cookie cutter in an upper corner of the prepared cookie sheet. Fill the cutter about halfway up. Using the back of a spoon or your fingers gently press the mixture down so it spreads evenly and then remove the cutter and repeat until your sheet is full. (I pressed two fingers on the mixture while removing the cutter to make sure the cookie stayed in place)
- Bake at 350 F for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on sheet, once cooled use a spatula to remove them.
Nutritional Information is an estimate for 1 of 9 cookies.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 40 Total Fat: 1g Saturated Fat: 0.5g Sodium: 0.7mg Carbohydrates: 6.9g Fiber: 1.3g Sugar: 1.8g Protein: 1.2g