Honey Peanut Butter Almond Bars are simple flour-less snack bars made with creamy natural peanut butter, almond meal, and sweet honey.
We got the idea for these Honey Peanut Butter Almond Bars from our love of the oh so popular 3-ingredient peanut butter cookie.
Those cookies are usually made with just an egg, and equal parts white sugar and peanut butter. They’re incredibly easy to throw together and the result is a crumbly chewy cookie that fully delivers in the peanut butter flavor department.
After changing our eating habits I set about adapting the recipe to reduce the sugar and amp up the protein. While still keeping the sweet roasted peanut butter flavor front and center. These versatile Honey Peanut Butter Almond Bars are Simple (only 7 ingredients) and Quick (only 30 minutes)!
When it comes to peanut butter we are a creamy household but I think a chunky peanut butter could only make these bars taste better.
Since these bars are flourless you might expect them to be super dense. But by adding toothy almond meal and the lift of baking soda you get a light yet hearty treat. The finishing touch = a tiny crunch courtesy of thinly sliced almonds.
I can imagine so many ways to upgrade this humble recipe like making them a full-fledged dessert with chopped chocolate or peanut butter chips or swirling in a few tablespoons of seedless jam for a PB&J vibe.
Or just keep them simple, clean and delicious.
Upgraded or plain these Honey Peanut Butter Almond Bars make the perfect afternoon treat.
- 1 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 3 tablespoons raw sliced almonds
- Preheat toaster oven to 325 F and grease an 8x8 square baking pan.
- In a medium bowl stir together peanut butter, egg, honey and vanilla until all ingredients are completely combined. Sprinkle almond meal, baking soda and sea salt over mixture and mix just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth into an even layer. Sprinkle batter with almond slices and gently press slices into batter. Bake at 325 F for 20 to 23 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a tiny bit of crumb. When done the edges will be set and the top golden brown.
- Let bars cool completely in the pan. Once cooled run a sharp knife around the pan's edges and slice bars into 16 squares. Bars will keep for up to 3 days in a covered container at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 Bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 148Total Fat: 10.7gSaturated Fat: 2.2gCholesterol: 15.5mgSodium: 164.1mgCarbohydrates: 10.4gFiber: 1gSugar: 7.9gProtein: 5g