Start your morning with a healthy Berry Flag Toast, whole grain bread topped with lemony ricotta cheese and juicy fresh berries. Perfect for kicking off Independence Day or any patriotic holiday!
(this post contains affiliate links)
Gearing up for the 4th of July next week? Before you load up on BBQ, beer and all kind of baked sweets let’s start the day off right with a healthy breakfast!
Most mornings we try to keep breakfast quick to prepare and around 400 calories (give or take a few). Sometimes that means a bowl of oatmeal with toasted coconut, fresh fruit topped peachy pita pizzas, 20-minute cherry almond breakfast cakes, these java flavored coffee Greek yogurt parfaits or just a simple toast with ricotta and berries.
But guys holidays are sooo an invitation to play with your food!
Now just cause we’re having fun doesn’t mean we shouldn’t use the best ingredients to make our berry flag toasts.
Let’s start with toasting a slice of hearty whole grain bread. Toasting dry bread is a little sad, instead smear on rich, creamy and indulgent coconut butter before popping your slice into the toaster oven.
To quickly add a dose of protein to any breakfast grab some ricotta cheese. An awesome feature of ricotta cheese is how easily it can go from being a middle of the road pleasant milky flavored cheese to a sweet and tangy lemonly dessert just by stirring in a little lemon zest and juice.
Trust me, you’re going to want to put your lemon flavored ricotta on everything!
Now that you’ve got your crispy coconut buttered toast and layer of creamy lemon ricotta it’s all about the fruit…So grab the best in season fresh blueberries and thinly slice a few juicy strawberries.
How to make a Berry Flag Toast:
For the stars, arrange blueberries into three rows in the upper left corner.
To make the stripes, arrange the strawberry slices in three rows. Start at the top of the toast and slightly overlap each slice. For the last row, cut the strawberries slices in half lengthwise and arrange against the bottom edge of the toast.
Now enjoy your fun kid-friendly and adult satisfying toast that’s perfect for starting off Memorial Day, Independence Day or really any day you’re looking for a quick, tasty and healthy breakfast.
- 1 slice whole grain bread
- 1 teaspoon coconut butter (sub coconut oil or butter)
- 1/4 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 9 blueberries
- 4 medium strawberries , thinly sliced
- Spread coconut butter on bread and lightly toast for 2 to 3 minutes in toaster oven until golden brown.
- Mix together ricotta cheese, grated lemon peel and lemon juice. Spread ricotta mixture on toast.
- Decorate toast with berries. For the stars, arrange blueberries in 3 rows of three in the upper left corner. For the stripes, starting at the top of the toast arrange strawberry slices in three rows, slightly overlapping each slice. For the last row, cut strawberries slices in half lengthwise and arrange against the bottom edge of toast.
If you want a sweeter toast add a teaspoon of honey or maple syrup to the ricotta mixture.
You can substitute cottage cheese or Greek yogurt for the ricotta cheese just add the lemon juice a lit bit at a time to make sure it doesn’t get runny.